Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.4.9 iSync broken - Treo 650 iCal only

So iSync now hangs after the 10.4.9 update when syncing iCal over to the Treo 650. Did the usual cleanups, fixes, resets, zapping, etc.

Even after resetting the device, and syncing only the past week of events, iSync hangs during the "Synchronization complete" phase of the process.

Address Book appears to sync fine, as does the rest of the Palm crap.

Maybe there's a pref to toss out?

MBP Core2Duo -- snappy!, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 15, 2007 12:22 AM

12 replies

Mar 15, 2007 7:13 AM in response to mugwump88

Before simply tossing things or electing to delete or reinstall components, you might want to determine what is occurring, and why. Start by browsing your HotSync log, the your iSync log, for hints.

If you want to try a simple fix that isn't likely to have any impact but cannot hurt, you can toss the com.apple.isync.plist file found here:

Macintosh HD:Users:<username>:Library:Preferences

Stumbling blindly through your configuration in an attempt to fix this may result, however, in other more serious problems than the one you now face.

Mar 19, 2007 10:34 AM in response to mugwump88

Fixed my issue - I deleted the preferences file:
<user>/library/preferences/com.apple.isync.plist

Then I deleted the syncservices folder:
delete the <user>/library/application support/syncservices folder

I then set up isync again to handle syncing with Palm devices, including the isync conduit in HotSync Conduit Manager, then performed a "first" sync where I replaced all the data on my device (phone) with the data on my computer. Obviously, I backed up my calendar and address data before I started anything...

Good luck!

Mar 20, 2007 7:02 AM in response to Bernhard Sperrfechter

Really? A Mac OS X 10.4.9 update problem? I don't see any evidence of that, as my framework continues to work just as it is supposed to, and iCal synchronizes as it did under 10.4.8 and earlier releases.

Maybe you too should start by looking at your log files to determine what if any information they might contain identifying your issue, resetting the framework if that is appropriate, and so on. I'll say it again: stumbling through a series of 'fixes' without first identifying the problem is not productive, and can cause more problems it resolves. And just saying something is so, because you think it is, doesn't make it so.

I get that you're frustrated, but pointing at the update achieves nothing if it is not supported by actual evidence. The update may well have triggered this issue for you, but the key to resolving this is determining what is actually happening, not simply guessing.

Mar 20, 2007 12:46 PM in response to mandm

Since upgrading to 10.4.9, iSync was broken. I could not even open iSync, or the iSync tab in System Preferences>.Mac. Following mandm's advice, I deleted the preferences file: <user>/library/preferences/com.apple.isync.plist
Then I deleted the syncservices folder: <user>/library/application support/syncservices folder

It appears everything is fixed, many thanks, mandm!

Mar 21, 2007 2:35 AM in response to Michael Lafferty

Thank You for answering
So here are the facts:
isync protocol says "there is an unexpected mistake" (in German)

isync does syncing my adresses without problem
i sync does not sync the ical data

I deleted the com.apple.isync.plist file
I installed the isync agent on my mobile

Syncing worked perfectly through all OSX updates.

So, if You know steps that solve the problem I would appreciate your kindly help.

Best Wishes

Bernhard

Mar 21, 2007 6:50 AM in response to Bernhard Sperrfechter

I was under the impression that you referring to a Palm device, because you posted you question in a thread concerning them. Palm smartphones use an entirely different mechanism than non-Palm mobile handsets do, so my experience doesn't even apply to yours.

You are likely correct: that a change to the plug-in architecture, specifically to the existing plug in which now supports your particular mobile handset in iSync 2.4, is probably responsible for your issue. That sort of problem does not exist with support for Palm devices in the latest version of iSync.

If you have a SONY Ericsson device, you should probably browse Julian Wright's support forum, here:

http://mobile.feisar.com/forum/index.cgi

Generally, when major changes to iSync occur post Mac OS X 10.4.6, Apple recommends that you back up your contact, calendaring and task records, remove any third-party plug-ins you may have installed, then update. They also recommend that you remove then attempt to add your mobile handset once again, and update any third-party plug-in which might be required to support it under the just installed release.

It's unlikely that you can correct a coding issue with the Agent or Plug-in likely responsible for this issue, though that is probably where the underlying issue lies.

10.4.9 iSync broken - Treo 650 iCal only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.