Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

About Logic Pro still says 7.1.1 after successful 7.2 upgrade

hi there,

I installed the 7.2 upgrade many moons ago, and had no errors. I never bothered to check the About box. It still says 7.1.1! So I tried installing 7.2 again this evening, and applied the 7.2.1 and 7.2.3 updates. No errors, Logic starts up fine. But still with the 7.1.1. Is this just a superficial bug, or are there deeper problems afoot?

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0, 2.5 gigs RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 16, 2007 11:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 17, 2007 6:22 AM

deeper problems are indeed afoot. that is abnormal behaviour!

try completely uninstalling then reinstalling 7.2 directly?
6 replies

Mar 17, 2007 6:51 AM in response to Brett Walker1

Did you move your Logic app to somewhere other that /Applications, or rename it at all ?

Are you running Logic by directly opening the application, or are you double-clicking on song files?

Because either your upgrade installation failed and the app is still the 7.1.1 version, or the 7.2 app installed alongside the 7.1.1 app, and by using existing aliases on song associations, you are still running the 7.1.1 version. So what's in your Applications folder?

Mar 18, 2007 2:46 AM in response to Bee Jay

Wow, you totally nailed it Bee Jay. Yes, I have all my audio apps in Applications/Audio/, so Logic Pro is in there too. And what do I see, but a duplicate Logic Pro.app in Applications/. I'm quite surprised that the upgrade app wasn't smart enough to detect the real location; I expect that from a Windows app, but not an Apple product.

Is the fix as simple as just overwriting the old app with the new one?

Thanks a ton for the assistance.

Mar 18, 2007 3:05 AM in response to Brett Walker1

if you've had a history with os9, then you may be used to being able to move app files around to wherever you want. but something you should know about OSX is that applications should not ever be moved from the applications folder, nor placed inside a folder within that folder, unless that is how they placed themselves upon installation. if you mess with the placement at all, updates can also get messed up.

Mar 18, 2007 4:00 AM in response to Brett Walker1

Yes, just overwrite the app. Apps should be in Applications.

The reason you get problems is the installers write package receipts when you install software, that log what was installed, what versions, and where for instance. When you run the updater, it looks at these receipts to work out what it needs to do - if you've moved the application post-install, the receipts can potentially confuse the updater.

In your case, 7.2.3 was installed in it's proper place (/Apps), but you were still running the old version which was in Apps/Audio.

About Logic Pro still says 7.1.1 after successful 7.2 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.