Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVI to HDMI cable... Does it carry Audio too?

Right, I might be making a bit of an arse out of myself here but i've just bought a DVI to HDMi cable to run from my 17inch macbook pro to my poineer 43inch HD tv...

The picture came up easy as pie which is great, but for some reason i assumed that this carried the audio too, and I would not neet to connect a cable from my mini jack out to the input of the tv (L&R Phono)...?

Am I doing something wrong here or is this the case?? I know the DVI cable I bought is a DVI-D male (18+1)... Is this wrong...?
Should it be the DVI-I (25+1) cable to get the audio working...?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
M.

17" Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 18, 2007 3:59 AM

4 replies

Mar 18, 2007 12:32 PM in response to Mosco

HDMI ( High Definition Multimedia Interface ) does indeed carry audio and video but DVI ( Digital Visual Interface ) does not. HDMI and DVI produce similarly high quality pictures ( up to a resolution of 1080p I believe ) but like people before me have said, DVI doesn't carry sound so you will indeed need to use an additional cable.

The cable you will need would be a 3.5mm Jack ( coming out of your headphone output on your MBP ) to L+R Phono ( going into your big fancy TV 😀 ) , you could also use a an optical cable if your TV has an optical in. ( I assume your MBP has the 3.5mm Jack / Optical I/O connections on the left side ) .

Using the optical cable would give you surround sound 🙂 , DVI-HDMI and an optical audio cable would give you UUltimate viewing pleasure 😀 😀

Hope I was helpfull : ) , gimmi some points if I was 😀

If you have any other audio/video questions, feel free to ask me, I'm in college studying sound production during the week while selling LCD and Plasma's on the weekends 😀

DVI to HDMI cable... Does it carry Audio too?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.