Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding iSync Support to Nokia E70

All...I was kinda disappointed that the Nokia E70 wasn't included in the latest updates to iSync. I had hacked iSync earlier based on information I found here but, of course, those mods were overwritten by the Apple update. This time around I took a different tack since the E70 is really an E62 in a smaller form factor.

To make it work I cloned the Nokia-E62.phoneplugin folder found at /Applications/iSync.app/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePhoneConduit.syncdevice/Contents/ PlugIns calling it Nokia-E70.phoneplugin and made a few modifications.

Details are at: http://hundredacre.de/iWeb/hundredacre.de/Blog/D63223C9-53D0-4E3C-B259-C14CB0235 542.html. I included an archive of the new folder for those who want to drag and drop.

I hope this is helpful to some of you E70 users out there.

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Mar 20, 2007 10:11 AM

4 replies

Mar 21, 2007 4:25 AM in response to Jay Berringer

May I request that you have a look at the discussion over at <http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=890698&tstart=0>? (It's the iSync discussion forum topic labelled "New free pluginsupport for E50,E60,E65,E70,N92,N95 and 6300 in iSync 10.4.9.")

A fellow named Reamer has come up with a plugin package for S60 phones, including your E70-1 and my E70-2. It seems to work pretty well for us, and from my perspective certainly seems a usable solution; however we have noticed a few inconsistencies syncing all-day events between iCal and our phones. If you would be so good as to try the last test we've done on our phones with all-day events, using your phone and your plugin, I believe this would help us troubleshoot.

Mar 21, 2007 5:24 AM in response to TCD

Hi TCD...hadn't seen Reamer's post before putting up mine. Even so, I don't like replacing Apple's plug-ins even if I don't have the phones in question. So I likely would've rolled my own anyway. 🙂

I had a look and all-day events work the same as you described in Reamer's post. That is, they show up as 00:00 to 23:59 events on the summary display but as 00:00 to 00:00 with a different ending date when you look at the detail. For example, an all-day event today shows a start date of 21/03/2007 and an end date of 22/03/2007.

Anniversary dates do repeat with an end date of 31/12/2100.

Alarms do sync correctly though as I just found out. 😉

I think all of this is as it should be since all day events sent as .ics files (iCal invitations) show a start date of 21/03/2007 and an end date of 22/03/2007 with no time values.

Do know that I have a European model E70. I don't know what difference that makes to the U.S. model other than (IIRC) frequency coverage.

Mar 22, 2007 12:16 PM in response to Jay Berringer

Hm. I'm not sure what you mean by "replacing Apple's plug-ins" - the Reamer plugin folder is placed in ./Library and doesn't (to my knowledge) replace anything. (I'm assuming that at some point I'll be upgrading my machine and will first drag the plugin folder out of ./Library.)

I haven't tried any alarms (although I suppose they'll work I hardly ever use the functionality. I imagine I would were .Mac cheap enough for me to sign up; I mostly need to keep tabs on birthdays and such on the phone).

I'm not sure I understand how .ics files work. Are you sending them from iCal to the phone, or...?

European model vs US model E70: my understanding is that the keyboard color is (generally) different, the GSM frequencies are different, the US model lacks 3G support, and plugins that specifically refer to the E70-1 will not work with the US model (which is E70-2). I'm supposing here that E70-1 specifically refers to the silver-keyed European(/Asian) model with 3G support and the E70-2 specifically refers to the black-keyed US model without 3G support but with US GSM frequency support; however the blogosphere seems to be full of Europeans jonesing for the black keys and guessing that there must be a black-keyed E70-1 available in some country somewhere. (I'd be interested in one myself, come right down to it.) But I'm not sure it's such a simple distinction.

G5 Tower Mac OS X (10.4.8) one of several Macs

Mar 22, 2007 3:59 PM in response to TCD

Reading Reamer's thread I understood that he's replacing the Apple plug-ins. If he's not, then ignore that. 🙂

I use alarms for appointments I have to travel to, for example. The appointment is at 10:00 and it takes me 45 minutes to get there. So I set the alarm in iCal to pop 45 minutes beforehand. These seem to sync properly.

.ics files are just iCalendar format meetings. I exported one from iCal to see what it says because I suspect that that is the format in use going to the phone. I opened it in a text editor and compared it to the phone entry and they matched. That's a long way to say that once Apple adds E70 support (10.4.10?) it'll probably work the same.

Adding iSync Support to Nokia E70

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.