Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Software Update Server - Client Settings?

Hello,

I have experience with Mac OS X Server, as a network home directory server. I now would like to use the Software Update server function. The set-up instructions for the server seem remarkably basic, but I can't seem to verify what (if any) changes need to be made to the client machines to recognize the local update server.

Will any machine on the same network as the software update server "automatically" refer to the local server when running Software Update?

Thanks in advance,
-David

XServe, Mac OS X (10.4.9), Mac OS X Server 10.4.9

Posted on Mar 21, 2007 10:09 AM

3 replies

Mar 21, 2007 3:15 PM in response to David L. Huxtable

Not automaticly. You need to use the workgroup manager to set preferences for users, groups and/or computers for software updates. For non managed clients you can follow the steps on page 75 of the system image and SW updates guide. You should be able to determine that the client is using the correct server because the fully quallified domain name will list at the top of the software updates pane when its not using apples server. Your server must have an IP address that resolves to a host name and the host name must also resolve to that ip for this to work, however this should be the case if your server is an open directory master anyways.

Software Update Server - Client Settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.