Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File names - can iPhoto do what MS Digital Image Suite 2006 can?

I just bought a new MacBook Pro and am not very familiar with iPhoto. I've used MS Digital Image Suite for a number of years now and love how I can easily name my files. In DIS, when I click on Import, it will bring up all of the pictures on my camera as thumbnails so I can see them. Then I can select the ones to import, and give it a specific file name (e.g: mexico vacation), and then as it imports the selected pictures, it'll automatically name the pictures mexico vacation1, mexico vacation2, etc. This feature is very handy for when I have several occasions of images stored on my camera because I can select what I want to import and give them different group names.

How do you do this in iPhoto, or does this functionality not exist? I read on the post something about Automator, but I do not know what that is.

Thanks,
Karen

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9), PC Desktop with WinXP

Posted on Mar 21, 2007 11:13 AM

5 replies

Mar 21, 2007 11:39 AM in response to karentam6600000

Karen

It's important to distinguish between filenames and picture titles.

If you want to name the files you must do his before you bring them into iPhoto. You can use an Automator Action or any of a number of apps like File List. In this scenario you would use Image Capture to bring the pics onto the Mac, rename them then import them.

Here's an alternative, using picture titles. Import the Pics into iPhoto then use the Photos -> Batch Change command to set the title on groups of photos. These titles are what you see and use in iPhoto. You never need the Filename in iPhoto. If you want to export a file you can rename it with the title in the File -> Export command.

My guess is that you want to name the files so that they will be easy to find. In iPhoto you do this by sight not filenames!

There are three ways (at least) to get files from the iPhoto Window.

1. Drag and Drop: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

2. File -> Export: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size. Again, producing a copy.

3. Show File: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

So the same result - it's easy to find your pics - but a different methodology.

Regards

TD

Mar 21, 2007 5:55 PM in response to karentam6600000

In addition to what Terrence said, there is very similar functionality in iPhoto already. It organises photos by film roll. When you import you give the 'roll' a name - this sounds almost identical in effect to what MS Digital Imiage Suite does. However, that is the least of iPhoto's abilities.

You can change the film roll name and add comments after importing. Thus, your mexico vacation would be handled by naming the film roll that has your Mexico vacation shots 'Mexico vacation'. Within that you can then select certain shots and use the batch change command to call the shots, say, 'Cancun - n', 'Mariachi - n', and 'Don't drink too much tequila - n' within that roll.

To emphasise what Terrence said, the name of the files on your hard disk is pretty much irrelevant. What matters is the information you add to the files within iPhoto. (In that respect you should also try tagging your photos with lots of keywords as they also make sorting and finding photos very easy - for example, if you want to find all the photos with yourself and your dog while on holiday it would be very easy if you had tags 'Karen', 'Fido' and 'Holiday'.)

Apr 7, 2007 3:07 PM in response to Diane Bisgeier

Diane,

Yes, the iPhoto titles do not appear in the Finder.

It is better to stay out of the iPhoto Library folder in Finder altogether. To attach your photo to email or upload on a website, select from inside iPhoto. Then do File > Export (or Share > Export in some versions) to a folder on your desktop. You have several export options, including naming the file by its iPhoto title, and resizing for better performance in your email. Use the desktop copies for attaching to your email (much easier to navigate than wading through the Library folder). You can delete this folder when you finish, since your files are still inside your library.

Apr 8, 2007 12:18 AM in response to Diane Bisgeier

Diane

Welcome to the Apple Discussions.

The filename doesn't matter when it comes to finding your pic. It's all visual. Find the pic in the iPhoto Window (and not in the Finder, you never ever need to look in the Finder) and then use one of three ways (at least) to get files from the iPhoto Window.

1. Drag and Drop: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

2. File -> Export: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size. Again, producing a copy.

3. Show File: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

Regards

TD

File names - can iPhoto do what MS Digital Image Suite 2006 can?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.