Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on Airport Extreme?

I have purchased a Sony LocationFree TV unit to stream television over the internet. The Sony set-up utility reports that I need to enable UPnP (universal plug and play) or port forwarding. I've gone through all the AirPort settings and can find no reference to either of these facilities. Could it be that the Airport Extreme doesn't support features that are commonly found on third-party routers? Or maybe I just haven't looked in the right place.

MacBook Pro 17 MacMini512 PowerBook 15, Mac OS X (10.4.7), Palm 750 phone with Win Mobile 5

Posted on Mar 22, 2007 5:11 AM

4 replies

Mar 22, 2007 1:55 PM in response to Michael Evans3

Port Mapping, with the AirPorts, is basically a two-step process:
1. Set up a static IP address for the device on your local network that will be accessed from the Internet.
2. Create mapping "rules" for each port that you need mapped.

In a little more detail...
1. Assign a static IP to the server.
System Preferences > Network > Show > AirPort > TCP/IP
- Configure IPv4: Manually
- IP Address: 10.0.1.253
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Router: 10.0.1.1
- DNS Servers <your ISP DNS server IPs>

2. Setup Port Mapping on the AEBS.
To setup port mapping on an AirPort Extreme Base Station (AEBS), temporarily connect directly, using an Ethernet cable, to the LAN port of the AEBS, and then use the AirPort Admin Utility to make these settings:
Port Mapping tab
- Click "Add"
- Public Port: <enter the Port # which will be accessed from the Internet>
- Private Address: 10.0.1.253
- Private Port: <either enter the same value as the Public port or the value you want your application/service to answer on>
- Click "Ok"
- Repeat the last series of steps for each port you wish to map.

Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) on Airport Extreme?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.