Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 DVD burners in a G4 Digital Audio running 10.4.9??

Does anyone know if it's possible to take out my CD drive and use the upper two bays with 2 LaCie 16x DVD drives (or others if these aren't compatible)? We are thinking of taking the disk images of DVDs my wife makes for her dance company and using the G4 to burn duplicates before we burn out our Powerbook DVD drive. This looks like a cheap solution, but I don't see any clear specs on whether this is possible. Our laptop's little drive has burned a couple hundred DVDs since we got it! Thanks! Dan and Angela

Powerbook 12", iMac 800, G4 PowerMac Digital Audio, Mac OS X (10.4.5)

Posted on Mar 22, 2007 8:01 AM

6 replies

Mar 22, 2007 8:21 AM in response to Angela Worcester

Hi

Despite external appearances, the earlier G4s including the Digital Audio can only accomodate one optical drive internally, as the lower opening in the metal chassis is narrower. The following link shows what would be involved in modifying the case, although even then there may be difficulties with the lower drive hitting the heat sink:

http://www.shanescot.com/photos/bw_mod/index.html
http://www.shanescot.com/photos/g4_mod/index.html

You can create an image of a DVD as a file on your hard drive using the OS X disk utility. Once the image has been created, it can then be burnt back to multiple discs one at a time, again using the OS X disk utility. I'm not sure whether you actually need two optical drives installed. This assumes you're legally entitled to duplicate the DVDs and they don't have a copyright protection mechanism in place.

Mar 22, 2007 8:34 PM in response to Angela Worcester

As I mentioned in my response to your same question(s) posted under another Topic heading, LaCie doesn't manufacture optical drives/burners. They design the external cases, and install hard drives or optical drives that are manufactured by others. When you buy a well-known brand drive, it's easier to go back to the manufacturer's web site for firmware updates later. Pioneer burners have had a good reputation among Mac users, and their internal DVR-111D DVD±RW drive can be purchased for under $30. If you're not the type who would want to buy an internal drive and install it in an external case, Other World Computing has a ready-made FireWire/USB 2.0 external DVD±RW burner with the Pioneer DVR-109 drive for $100.

Mar 22, 2007 9:56 PM in response to Angela Worcester

The earlier Pioneer "SuperDrive" DVD±RW drives were Apple OEM equipment in some of the G4s, so the DVR-111D would make a good replacement for your existing drive. Other World Computing indicates that the Pioneer drive readily burns from Apple's programs, but if you had a problem, there's a third-party download ("PatchBurn") that enables recognition of unsupported drives. Unfortunately, a disk burning program, like Roxio's "Toast," makes you select the drive that will be used, when more than one compatible burner is detected. Additionally, to prevent an interruption in the data flow, data is ready and waiting by being stored in the drive's cache and on the hard drive, as the disk is being burned. For this reason, you can't simultaneously burn to two separate drives. Have you considered checking for any DVD duplication services in your area? Depending on the quantity of disks that you need to copy, you may find it more economical to outsource the duplication. It would minimize the wear and tear on your own hardware, like taking a large printing order to Kinko's to take the load off your own laser printer and toner.

2 DVD burners in a G4 Digital Audio running 10.4.9??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.