Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI not working on Sharp TV

Last night I plugged in my shiny new Apple TV to my Sharp LC-32D6U HDMI port with the HDMI cable I bought from the apple store and I got nothing. It works fine with component video but I would like to use the HDMI since I'm already using all of the component video inputs on the TV. Looking through the TV's manual I noticed their are a few signal types that can be set for HDMI, RGB/YCbCr 4:4:4/YCbCr 4:2:2. Any idea which setting should be used? Has anyone with a Sharp TV tried using HDMI?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Mar 23, 2007 7:04 AM

16 replies

Mar 30, 2007 1:27 AM in response to 3oz

Same issue here with my Sharp LC-32GD7E and the HDMI cable from the Apple store. After startup, the screen flickers as if it is doing some kind of handshake with the Apple TV, and then it gives up. During the flicker session, the Apple TV LED is kind of orange, but afterwards it becomes white.

Had a support call with Sharp asking for a firmware update, but no avail.

Mar 30, 2007 7:41 PM in response to 3oz

Had a call into Apple tech support and the engineers are in denial that there's anything wrong with the HDMI-HDCP signal. Your results match my own that there's a syncronization problem going on somewhere, which causes the picture to intermittently flicker (which technically means the TV has lost the HDCP flag). Not sure what to tell you other than try unplugging the HDMI cable and replug it back in, or try alternating powering down the aTV and your TV. Either way, it's a short term fix until Apple owns up.

Apr 2, 2007 1:02 PM in response to 3oz

I am going to buy an AppleTV tomorrow but, as far as I've read in your topics it seems it doesn't work with a Sharp LCD.
I've got a LC-37P50E Pal Optimal (res. 960x540) and I'd like you to tell me whether there's a web site in which I could check out before buying it.
A year ago I bought a PS2 component cable, and it hasn't worked; now I wouldn't like to spend Euro 299,00 for something useless.
Thank you for your replies,
Fabrizio

Apr 3, 2007 9:19 AM in response to Fabercula

I had many problems with my LC-32GD4. Everything was fine with my Philips, but not with Sharp. After one full day of tests : first start AppleTV and then the TV, first start the TV and then AppleTv, reset both of them, changed the HDMI-DVI cable, tried all the possible TV configurations and just few seconds before I was throwing everything out the window it suddenly worked. I don't know why, but it now works.

Apr 4, 2007 9:07 PM in response to Aleiacono

I have the same problem with my 32" Sharp AQUOS. Apple tv works BEAUTIFULLY most of the time, but it's happened twice now on separate occassions where the sound would not work (video showed ok, just no sound), which is really weird.

I found that unplugging the apple tv does NOT work in fixing this prob. I think it is definitely a problem with the Sharp TV and the HDMI connection because when I unplugged and replugged the TV, the sound came back fine.

Apr 16, 2007 1:20 PM in response to 3oz

There are a lot of known problems with the Sharp D6U line. There are a lot of problems with Sharp flat panel TVs in general.

Here's a link to an AV forum talking about just a few of the D6U's problems:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=647174&page=1&pp=30

You might want to call 1-800-BE-SHARP and talk to a Sharp tech. Your TV will likely need a firmware update.

HDMI not working on Sharp TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.