Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OsX don't and don't want to reinstall

Hi everyone,

Today, my osx crash without any reason. Since then, the system won't boot (see the apple logo and the UNIX one under but it never comes to the desktop)...I tried to repair, erase, reformat the disk with the disk utility avaible during the installation of OS X without success. The error is always : can't unmount disk. The same error appear if I try to reinstall OS X. Anybody have a suggestion?? Would be much appreciated since I can't use it anymore.

THanks!

Imac, Mac OS X (10.4.9), core duo 1.87

Posted on Mar 27, 2007 6:43 PM

6 replies

Mar 27, 2007 7:38 PM in response to BigDan34

Do this:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disk. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger.)

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions from the dropdown menu (use 1 partition unless you wish to make more.) Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the volume(s) mount on the Desktop.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process will take 30 minutes to an hour or more depending upon the drive size.

If you get this far then after the formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with the OS X installation.

Mar 27, 2007 7:48 PM in response to Kappy

Ok I tried but here's the problem. When loading the disk utility, there's a message saying "looking for disk information" and there's no drive at the left. It's looking for a drive for 10 minutes now. The HD always make the same noise like it's doing always the same thing again and again.

Does that confirm that I might have a HD problem?

OsX don't and don't want to reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.