Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up mail with Verizon FiOS

Using eMac, OS X 10.3.9, Mail 1.3.11.

Just got Verizon FiOS service. I have followed the Verizon setup instructions, and have called them for step-by-step help. We do what is instructed, but the server rejects my password repeatedly. Under "Advanced," in the SMTP server field I enter, as instructed, "outgoing.verizon.net." When prompted for my password, my username has been added to the server name: "outgoing.verizon.net:username." I don't know why this is happening, and whether it has anything to do with my password being rejected. I try to revert to the entered name, and it again defaults to the user-name-added mode; I can't seem to make the entered name stick. In any event, Verizon says it's a Mac problem, and they summarily wash their hands.

Is it a Mac thing? or should I go back to Verizon and make louder noises?

eMac Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Mar 28, 2007 7:04 PM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2007 8:08 PM in response to jdonli

I'm not really sure how or what you've configured, but all that seems to be required is the incoming and outgoing mail servers, your username, and password. The latter are your Verizon account online username and online password.

Open Mail and select Preferences from the Mail menu. Click on the Accounts icon in the toolbar. If you have an account you've already tried that isn't working, then delete that account and any other account you don't use - for example if there's a .Mac account listed and you don't have a .Mac account, then delete it.

This all assumes you have already set up an email account with Verizon.net and have an email account address and password. The following is from Verizon's Help page:

Setting up your Verizon Online email with Mac OS X Mail

Start OS X Mail.

The OS X Mail program opens.
From the Mail menu, select Preferences.
Click on Accounts icon in the toolbar.

The Accounts window appears.
Click Add Account.

The Account panel appears.

Note: Depending on the version of OS X that you are using, it could either be a button titled Add Account or a plus sign "+" at the lower left of the window.

Click the Account Information tab.
From the Account Type menu, select POP.
In the Description field, enter a name for this account.
In the Email Address field, enter your Verizon Online email address (format is username@verizon.net).
In the Incoming Mail Server field, enter: incoming.verizon.net
In the User Name field, enter your Verizon Online user name.
In the Password field, enter your Verizon Online password.
From the Outgoing Mail Server menu, select New.

The SMTP Server Options screen appears.
In the Outgoing Mail Server field, enter: outgoing.verizon.net

Note: Leave all other settings in the SMTP Server Options screen in their default values.

Click OK.

In the Accounts window, click the Advanced tab.
Check the Enable this Account option.
Check the Include when automatically checking for new email option.
Configure any other email preferences you would like to set for this account.

Click OK.

Mar 29, 2007 6:42 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for staying with me on this, Kappy. Yes, I have the correct username and password--I went through the setup (more than once) with Verizon holding my hand via telephone. I can access my mail through the yahooo.verizon.net mailsite (Verizon uses a yahoo account for Mac mail), so I know I have a valid mail account with Verizon. For what it's worth, my account name in Mail is greyed-out, and it's never been in black text. I went through my network setup, and all the IP addresses, subnet/net masks, router addresses, and DNS numbers are correct. My OS is giving me no othr problems: internet access is fast as a T1 line, backups go fine, applications are stable, etc. I'd like to hear from other Verizon FiOS customers who have had success with their Panther Mail setup.

Mar 29, 2007 7:03 PM in response to jdonli

Is this Yahoo mail account through Verizon a web-based mail account? If so I wonder if you need to set up an actual POP account separate from the Yahoo one. In Verizon's setup instructions there's no mention of mail accounts via yahoo.verizon.net. Yahoo does have web-based mail accounts but those accounts can not be accessed through regular email applications.

Unfortunately, I cannot access Verizon's email setup because I don't have a Verizon account, but I would check this out to be sure. Your situation is very strange indeed.

Mar 30, 2007 10:28 PM in response to jdonli

OK, Kappy (and anyone else who has been listening)--my Verizon/Mac Mail problem is solved, thanks to the rare Verizon associate who knows what's really going on. The incoming and outgoing mail servers need to include yahoo in their addresses: incoming.yahoo.verizon.net, and outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net. The configuration instructions at Verizon are WRONG! And most of their associates go by those instructions, knowing no better. I have sent a relevant message to Verizon management.

Setting up mail with Verizon FiOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.