Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Screen Mode Picture Freezes but Sound works

hi everyone,

recently when i go into full screen mode, my picture freezes but the sound continues to playback.

when i stop the playback, the picture changes to the current frame.

it used to work before but now it doesn't work. I've tried refreshing AV devices and restarting my computer.

i'm not using any external HD, everything is on my imac G5

My finalcut pro version is 5.0.4

i'm using OS 10.3.9

i have about 5GB of HD space left.

any insights is greatly appreciated.

thanks everyone!

joshua

IMac G5 17 first generation, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Mar 31, 2007 9:11 PM

10 replies

Apr 1, 2007 11:36 AM in response to Patrick Sheffield

thanks for your replies!

i cleared out my HD to 20GB but i still have the same problem.

not sure how to check the codec but it's i see NTSC/DV under the clips. the clips were taken from a miniDV tape. (If that means anything) Do you know how I can check the codec?

really appreciate your help so far and I hope to resolve this full screen problem with your advice!

joshua

Apr 8, 2007 7:48 PM in response to Joshua Lim

For what it's worth, I'm having this same problem. It's very strange. I open up projects that used to work in full screen just fine and now they do the same thing you described - one frame is drawn and then no more. Then, when I stop playback, the image is updated to the latest frame. Audio is heard the whole time.

At first I thought I had some settings messed up on my latest project, but then I went back to old older project that I know worked in full screen mode last time I played it, and it does the same thing. Very weird, baffling, and irritating.

Apr 9, 2007 7:26 AM in response to Studio X

I definitely had All Frames selected. Having fought with the problem for literally hours, I tried every combination of (relevant) settings possible. And double- and triple-checked everything.

I'm convinced there's a configuration bug in the software, since I didn't change anything in my project. The only change in my case was to add a 3rd monitor.

In the end, I trashed all my FCP preferences and let the software rebuild that directory tree. That allowed full screen video to work on the OLD projects that had worked in full screen before. And then I tweaked the sequence settings on the new project until I found that when I reset the sequence settings back to the NTSC DV template default, full screen now works on my new project as well.

So, I think I had two problems - one configuration bug in FCP and a sequence with settings that made it incompatible with viewing full screen. I've worked around both of those now and am back on track.

May 6, 2007 6:37 PM in response to ToddBradley

Sadly I'm back to where I started somehow. In fact, I just created a brand new FCP project, right after blowing away my preferences, and it's doing the same old thing. Settings are 720x480 NTSC DV aspect ratio, NTSC pixel aspect ratio, Lower (Even) field dominance, 29.97, and DV/DVCPRO - NTSC compressor.

I can't get the full screen picture to work on either of my two monitors at the moment, both of which are connected to the same video card.

Full Screen Mode Picture Freezes but Sound works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.