Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

communication error possible cause and my solution

Hello to all who have experience some kind of "communication error" that renders videoconferences inoperative.

I have found a possible cause and a solution. At least to my problem. I had videoconferences on my Mac Pro without any problem and then all of a sudden, it seemed, it wouldn't work and I got the above mentionned message.

In fact here is what happened:

I originnaly used my mac with the ethernet port. Everything was fine. Then I went to a wireless connection with the use of an "Airport extreme" base station(the one with airtunes)plugged to my router and, still, everything was fine.

However, at one point I repluged the wire and kinda used both. That 's where the error originated.

Indeed, in that kind of setup, you have to make sure that "Network port configuration" will show "Airport" as the first choice. In my setup, if it's set to "Built-in ethernet 1" and then "Airport", even though both are plugged, I will get the error message.

I hope this is clear enough to help anyone with that problem.

Cheers!

Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9) 2.66

Posted on Apr 1, 2007 4:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 2:32 AM

Hi,

Yes. If you are coonnected to your routing device by two methods you will get two IPs from that router.
In this case one for Ethernet and one for wireless.

iChat and some other apps can not distinguish that there are two IPs and give conflicting info to the SNATMAP server as to what the computer's IP is and problems will arise.

It sounds like in this case that the wireless connection attempts to take precedence even when lower in the list.

This info in the original post should be useful.

User uploaded file

10:36 AM Monday; April 2, 2007
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2007 2:32 AM in response to Yvon Couture

Hi,

Yes. If you are coonnected to your routing device by two methods you will get two IPs from that router.
In this case one for Ethernet and one for wireless.

iChat and some other apps can not distinguish that there are two IPs and give conflicting info to the SNATMAP server as to what the computer's IP is and problems will arise.

It sounds like in this case that the wireless connection attempts to take precedence even when lower in the list.

This info in the original post should be useful.

User uploaded file

10:36 AM Monday; April 2, 2007

Apr 2, 2007 3:20 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Thanks for the explanation and technical detail. I was baffled by this. Because the router was setup properly and my other computer, a Dual MDD G4, could videoconference without any problem. At one point I even thought bootcamp might have been the culprit.

I had just purchased the computer and had to install so many things on it that I could hardly pinpoint the cause of this problem.

Everything runs smoothly now.

communication error possible cause and my solution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.