Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can VGA transmit high-def resolution?

I'm planning on buying the Mini-DVI to VGA adapter to connect my macbook to my Samsung HDTV (LN-S4095D). The TV supports resolutions up to 1920x1080 through its VGA input. However, after reading up a little on VGA cables ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Video_Standards.svg), I found that the max resolution supported by VGA is 640x480.

Now I'm confused. Can high-def resolution (1024x768 & 1920x1080) be transmitted over a VGA cable? Or, is there a particular type of VGA cable that I should buy? SVGA, XGA, UXGA?

If you can suggest a specific cable (preferably 15 ft.), I'd greatly appreciate it. Otherwise, simply shedding some light on this situation will certainly help me out.

Macbook, 2.0 GHz Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 7:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2007 7:41 PM

Hi bliu223,

Welcome to macbook forum.

I connect my macbook using mini-DVI to vga to my samsung syncmaster931BW and set to its native resolution of 1440 x 900.

But if your HDTV have DVI port, why not buy that one (mini-DVI to DVI adapter).

But make sure your HDTV share the same DVI as macbook and that adapter for there is 3 kind of DVI.

Good Luck.
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 2, 2007 7:41 PM in response to bliu223

Hi bliu223,

Welcome to macbook forum.

I connect my macbook using mini-DVI to vga to my samsung syncmaster931BW and set to its native resolution of 1440 x 900.

But if your HDTV have DVI port, why not buy that one (mini-DVI to DVI adapter).

But make sure your HDTV share the same DVI as macbook and that adapter for there is 3 kind of DVI.

Good Luck.

Apr 2, 2007 7:49 PM in response to bliu223

User uploaded fileWelcome to the discussions!

To be HD, a signal has to be displayed at 720P. Part of the problem is that we generically refer to an analog monitor connection as "VGA" when the true resolution of VGA is 640 x 480. Our computers can do SVGA, XGA, SXGA, UXGA, and many other resolutions over that analog VGA cable.

Long answer, I know, and the short answer is as Michael said, "Yes."

Apr 2, 2007 8:02 PM in response to bliu223

If you are need a 15' cable you will really want to use DVI instead of VGA if at all possible. As has been pointed out both support high resolutions, but since VGA is analog you will probably get ghosting and a less than perfect picture with a VGA cable that long. DVI will always be perfect quality no matter how long the cable because it is digital.

If you really don't have DVI input on your TV, make sure you get a VGA cable with good thick shielding and ferrous cores (those lumps near the ends of the cables).

Check online prices because retail stores tend to mark up cables A TON!

I'd rather not say... Windows XP Pro Soon to be replaced!

Apr 3, 2007 6:07 AM in response to AK10

Interesting point you bring up with ghosting on a 15' VGA cable. Now I have a follow up question. Everyone seems to urge using the MiniDVI to DVI adapter. However, my samsung hdtv doesn't have a DVI input. Rather, it has an HDMI input.

I've been reading through some Apple forums as well as some AVS forums, and there seems to be some mixed response when it comes to using the MiniDVI-DVI adapter with a DVI to HDMI cable. I've read stories about the top of the menu bar and bottom of the dock being cut off when putting a macbook display on a widescreen HDTV through HDMI.

I originally thought I'd buy a VGA adapter & VGA cable simply because the Samsung TV itself can adjust the monitor resolution of the VGA input whereas the HDMI inputs are locked in at either 720p, 1080i, or 1080p.

Does anyone knows the definitive answer as to whether a Macbook can successfully be displayed on a widescreen HDTV through HDMI (via the MiniDVI-DVI adapter)? Please let me know. Thanks!

Macbook, 2.0 GHz Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Apr 3, 2007 8:01 AM in response to bliu223

Look at this article.

http://www.macworld.com/2006/07/secrets/macminihdtv/index1.php

Someone connected there mac mini up to a HD TV using the dvi port on the mini and connecting it to the tv using a DVI-HDMI cable and it all worked fine.

From other articles i've seen they dvi-hdmi works fine so really a mini-dvi-dvi adapter should be fine if you then connect it to a dvi-hdmi cable. Beware that dvi only carries video it will not carry audio.

Dib.

Apr 3, 2007 9:04 PM in response to bliu223

Most Samsung TVs that point the user towards the VGA connector for making computer connections do not work correctly when attached by DVI or HDMI. The most typical problem is overscan, where the edges of the Mac desktop will be off the edges of the screen. But there is no harm in trying except for the expense of a cable that may be useless.

Apr 4, 2007 5:22 PM in response to Dibbler

Thank you to everyone who has responded! I have decided to buy a 15' SVGA cable with ferrite cores. Despite the possible ghosting that may occur, I need the length. I also realized that since HDMI doesn't carry audio, the only way to use the DVI-HDMI method is to route my audio through an AV Receiver (which I don't have). So I will connect an 3.5mm miniplug from my computer to the TV for audio.

Thanks again!

Apr 4, 2007 9:53 PM in response to Donna Jones1

I understand that HDMI carries audio. I should've clarified, what I meant was the miniDVI-DVI adapter doesn't transmit audio, only video (as someone pointed out earlier). So, I could only use the DVI/HDMI solution if I could route my audio from my macbook to an AV receiver while the digital video signal is being sent via the miniDVI-DVI adapter to the DVI/HDMI cable to my TV. Appreciate your help, though.

Can VGA transmit high-def resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.