Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Machine ID ?

Hello,

Where and how can I find my "Machine ID" number?

Thnaks

eMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 3, 2007 12:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2007 12:33 AM

Probably depends what sort of ID you're looking for ... but try the System Profiler in Applications > Utilities > System Profiler
6 replies

Apr 3, 2007 3:33 PM in response to WarriorAnt

Do you mean the MAC (Media Access Control) address? If so you will find it on all the preference files in your ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/ folder, for example "com.apple.iTunes.XXXX.plist". The "XXXX" will be a 12 digit hexadecimal number: that is your MAC address.

Or you can go to System Preferences > Network and choose "Built-in Ethernet in the "Show:" pop-up, then choose the "Ethernet Tab". The "Ethernet ID" is the same as your MAC address.

You will also find it under "Network" in the System Profiler.

Apr 3, 2007 8:01 PM in response to WarriorAnt

The Machine ID is an internal identifer Apple used in pre-G3 Macs and some G3 Macs; it is also present in newer machines, but will be 406 on any machine with the New World ROM, which was introduced in the 1998-1999 time period. The first machine with this ROM is the original iMac, and all new Macs included it as of May 1999.

This value is 1206 when called from the Classic environment regardless of machine type. It is not available from Mac OS X directly.

(20759)

Apr 3, 2007 8:17 PM in response to Niel

The Machine ID is an internal identifer Apple used in
pre-G3 Macs and some G3 Macs; it is also present in
newer machines, but will be 406 on any machine with
the New World ROM, which was introduced in the
1998-1999 time period. The first machine with this
ROM is the original iMac, and all new Macs included
it as of May 1999.

This value is 1206 when called from the Classic
environment regardless of machine type. It is not
available from Mac OS X directly.

I imagine the closest current equivalent would be the Machine Model string, i.e., iMac6,1 for the current 24" Intel iMac. This is in the System Profiler app.

charlie

Machine ID ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.