Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with Bootcamp 1.2 and firmware on my MB

Boot Camp Assistant 1.1 was working fine but I decided to update it with version 1.2 for the new drivers after it came out. I trashed the Boot Camp Assistant.app from the utilities folder and ran the 1.2 installer. The upgrade appeared to go fine but when I run Boot Camp Assistant.app I only get "Boot Camp Assistant cannot be used: You must update your computer's boot ROM firmware before using this setup assistant".

When I check the FW on my MB I find that I have:

Boot ROM Version: MB11.0061.B02
SMC Version: 1.4f12

When I look on Apple's support pages I find that the latest Boot ROM version for my machine is MB11.0061.B03. I guessed that this is why Boot Camp 1.2 was not working but didn't understand why I had not received any update message from the automatic update utility.

I decided to manually update the firmware and downloaded the appropriate file from http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookefifirmwareupdate10.html

My surprise was big when I was going to run the update and I got "ALERT: This computer does not need this update".

I don't know what to do now. I have tried to reinstall Boot Camp 1.2 without been able to run it. Why cannot I update to MB11.0061.B03?

I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 7, 2007 1:12 PM

2 replies

Apr 7, 2007 2:40 PM in response to DavidG74

You cannot update the firmware on a drive already partitioned by Boot Camp. The update needed to be applied before ever using Boot Camp per Apple's instructions.

You will need to re-partition your hard drive, reinstall the original version of OS X that was installed from the factory, then attempt to do the EFI firmware update.

Apr 7, 2007 9:47 PM in response to Kappy

I have been trying to find the place where it says that the firmware update must be applied before bootcamp and I really don't find this info. Could you please point me to where you have read this information?

To re-install OS-X is a painfull process for me because I don't have access to all the appz that I have installed from where I am at the momment, I would have to wait to come back to my work base and ask for the CDs again and this is not possible until maybe 4 months.

I really think that re-partitioning and re-installing everything just for installing a firmware update is really extreme. I could delete the XP partition using Boot Camp assistant 1.1.2b after moving it from the trash (it still works) for putting my drive as it was before bootcamp and try the FW update then, but what confuses me is why am I getting a "Your computer does not need this update" message in stead of "There is a problem trying to install this update"?.

Thank you very much.

Need help with Bootcamp 1.2 and firmware on my MB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.