Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme Speed Tests (2GHz vs 5GHz)

I tested a 702mb file transfer (sending and receiving) with the Apple Extreme 802.11n. One system (20" Intel iMac) is on ethernet and the other (17" MacBook Pro with 802.11n enabled) is using the wireless connection. I wanted to find out if I should be running 802.11n in the 2GHz or 5GHz range. I have always though the better the signal strength the better the connection would be, but my findings were completely opposite.

The laptop remained in a static spot with no microwave oven or any strange electronics around to interrupt. I transferred the file up to my iMac and back down and viewed the network traffic through the Activity Monitor. I also used iStumbler to check my signal strength.

I know my testing has its flaws, but this is what I came up with...any recommendations to get better speed or am I looking at the best case?
-------------------------------------------------
Test 1:
2GHz - Channel 6
Signal Strength: 62%
File Send (Average/Max Burst): 2.6MB/s / 5.5MB/s
File Receive (Average/Max Burst): 5.8MB/s / 8.2MB/s
Notes: The speed is all over the place for both sending and receiving. The graph in Activity Monitor looks like a heart monitor.

Test 2:
5GHz - Auto Channel
Signal Strength: 35%
File Send (Average/Max Burst): 8.3MB/s / 8.5MB/s
File Receive (Average/Max Burst): 6MB/s / 6.9MB/s
Notes: The speed was not sporadic like the 2GHz test, although this time the sending was faster than the receiving.

Test 3:
5GHz - Auto Channel - Interference Robustness Enabled
Signal Strength: 36%
File Send (Average/Max Burst): 8.7MB/s / 8.8MB/s
File Receive (Average/Max Burst): 4.1MB/s / 5.8MB/s
Notes: Slower on the receiving than Test 2, but a bit quicker on the send.

17" Macbook Pro - 20" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 8, 2007 7:37 PM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2007 9:18 PM in response to claydough

Was iStumbler running the whole time you were testing?

I have found that iStumbler itself will wreak havoc with wireless speeds. When I was setting up my Extreme, I was getting excellent, consistent speeds, but as I started experimenting, data transfer speeds became very sporadic, especially in the 2.4 GHz band...until I realized that I was not running iStumbler when my speeds were good. I quit iStumbler and my speeds became consistent again.

Apr 19, 2007 7:17 PM in response to claydough

Your general results are consistent both with my experience and what the protocol should be able to do.

1. Your absolute best results will be in .11n only mode at 5 GHz. .11n mode is more efficient and it is only at 5 GHz can you use 40 MHz wide channels. There is also essentially no interference at these frequencies particularly in channels 36, 40, 44, and 52 - the defaults for .11n at 5 GHz.

2. If you use .11n at 2 GHz you will have three problems: interference from ovens and other Wi-Fi networks, using .11n in compatibility mode that allows it to share with other networks at these frequencies, and the use of only 20 MHz wide channels.

Apr 20, 2007 4:01 PM in response to claydough

I should also add that the results are still less than I had hoped for.

I think the AEBS will peak out at about 80-90 Mb/s at 5 GHz with 40 MHz channels in access point (bridged) mode. The standard suggests that a good implementation should be getting about twice that for a file transfer.

In part the limitation is the lack of a GigE interface on the AEBS.

So - fast ... but it really should be faster.

Airport Extreme Speed Tests (2GHz vs 5GHz)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.