Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

software cannot be installed on this computer

Hello all

I've been looking around this forum for a while now and have found similar problems to mine but there haven't been any exact answers to my question

I was horsing around with my computer and managed to somehow foul up my btree on my internal hard drive rendering it useless. No fear, wiped the drive, popped in my grey installation disk that came with my computer which I bought from Apple. None of this eBay stuff. I get the ever popular Alert...You cannot install this software on this computer message.

I understand that the grey bundled discs are computer specific, and as previously stated, are in fact the ones that came with my computer. So my question is whether or not they are tied directly in to the hardware that the computer was shipped with.

I pulled my mini apart and upgraded the memory about two years ago. I found someone that commented that the bundled OS X installation DVD didn't work on his computer because of that same fact. But someone else immediately responded and shot that down, saying that upgrading your computer memory won't hinder the OS X installation.

let me know what you think
-Drew

Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz G4 Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Mac Mini 1.42 Ghz G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Apr 9, 2007 5:41 PM

7 replies

Apr 9, 2007 5:59 PM in response to roo681

There is no connection between the OS X installer discs and the specific computer, only with the specific model. Installing OS X is also unaffected by how much RAM is installed or even if the RAM was upgraded as long as the amount of RAM installed meets the minimum required for the version of OS X being installed.

If you were able to boot the computer from the OS X Installer Disc, then you can install OS X. What you may need to do is re-prep the hard drive:

Extended Hard Drive Preparation

1. Boot from your OS X Installer Disk. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger.)

2. After DU loads select your hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Note the SMART status of the drive in DU's status area. If it does not say "Verified" then the drive is failing or has failed and will need replacing. Otherwise, click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the number of partitions from the dropdown menu (use 1 partition unless you wish to make more.) Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the volume(s) mount on the Desktop.

4. Select the volume you just created (this is the sub-entry under the drive entry) from the left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

5. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled, if supported.) Click on the Options button, check the button for Zero Data and click on OK to return to the Erase window.

6. Click on the Erase button. The format process will take 30 minutes to an hour or more depending upon the drive size.

After formatting has completed quit DU and return to the installer. Proceed with the OS X installation.

Apr 9, 2007 6:10 PM in response to Kappy

Hello and thanks for your response

This solves my upgraded RAM dilemma, but creates a new issue.

The first time I erased my drive with disk utility, I just reformatted with a HFS+ journaling volume thinking there was no need to zero out data.

After that didn't work, I went ahead and just tried a HFS volume without Journaling.

After that didn't work I went back to a HFS with Journaling and went with zeroing out the data, waited an hour, and it still didn't work.

So now my hope that the RAM was preventing me from reinstalling with my OS X DVD is gone, and I'm sort of confused. I even ran that hardware test that you can do if you hold down option when you restart and everything passed.

Now, on the off chance it would make a difference, I went ahead and followed the given directions as you supplied step by step, just incase I was doing things in the wrong order, but it still has been ineffective.

Oh, and yes, the SMART status is verified.

Any additional ideas would be appreciated, otherwise I will start searching for a retail OS X DVD.
Thanks for your time
-Drew

Apr 9, 2007 6:29 PM in response to roo681

I know this sounds redundant, but are you sure the installer disc you have is the correct one for the computer? After all you've tried that's the only possible reason you can't install OS X with it. I assume your Mini is a PPC model, not an Intel? You can check the following KB reference for the different build versions of OS X that were shipped with different models: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25517.

Be sure you disconnect all third-party peripherals before installing. Because you need a third-party keyboard and mouse be sure to use only a USB keyboard and mouse if you can. The more basic the better.

By any chance has the computer ever been repaired - say with a new logic board?

Apr 9, 2007 6:55 PM in response to Kappy

I don't know how they couldn't be mine. I don't live or even know anyone else that uses a mini. I usually have 5 external hard drives and a scanner and printer and external dvd drives and lots of fun stuff connected to my little mini, but I made sure to disconnect it all. I have one of the back ports connected to the apple keyboard, and one of them to the hp mouse.

And yeah, I'm using a PPC, not intel.

No repairs, just my little memory upgrade.

I appreciate the build version reference, but do not really know what to do with it.

Thanks for your time
-Drew

Apr 9, 2007 8:17 PM in response to roo681

If your installer disc has the OS X build version on the label you can see if that's the one that would have shipped with your Mini model/release date. It is always possible to get the wrong or defective discs. I have several Macs and different installer discs that all have the same gray labels. Easy to get them mixed up. I once took the wrong one with me to Vancouver one summer for my old Powerbook. Turned out it was one sub-version too early and belonged to another Powerbook that was in Tampa. I puzzled for hours as to why the computer kernel panicked when booted from the disc until I checked on the disc version versus the version required. I had a 10.2.1 disc but the computer required 10.2.2 or later!

software cannot be installed on this computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.