Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Netscape Navigator

I have a LC 580 running Mac OS 7.6.1. It installed Netscape Navigator as part of the Mac OS 7.6.1 installation routine. Whenever I try to launch Netscape Navigator it unexpected quits with a error of Type 2. Cyberdog 2.0 almost works too but I keep getting Open Transport errors related to networking & memory. What do I need to do to get my LC 580 online? Should I consider downloading a newer version of Netscape Navigator? I have a Sonic Systems comm slot ethernet card installed & the LC 580 has 52 MB of RAM. I had to extract the comm slot ethernet driver from the Mac OS 7.6 Install Tome to even get this far by using TomeViewer. I also found a Apple Knowledge Base article related to the Netscape Navigator issue but none of the solutions in the article worked for me.

refurbished 17 iMac G5 1.8 GHz & refurbished 12 PowerBook G4 1.5 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.8), 512 & 768 MBs of RAM

Posted on Apr 10, 2007 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2007 5:46 PM

You might try increasing, using Get Info, the Preferred memory assigned to Netscape. Here's a link of some other older browsers you might try. Mac Web Browsers, Present and Past http://darrel.knutson.com/mac/www/browsers.html
Keep in mind that most of the older browsers will probably not render the web pages very good, and you will probably have problems accessing pages that require high-level security.

 Cheers, Tom
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 10, 2007 5:46 PM in response to Craigwd_2000

You might try increasing, using Get Info, the Preferred memory assigned to Netscape. Here's a link of some other older browsers you might try. Mac Web Browsers, Present and Past http://darrel.knutson.com/mac/www/browsers.html
Keep in mind that most of the older browsers will probably not render the web pages very good, and you will probably have problems accessing pages that require high-level security.

 Cheers, Tom

Apr 10, 2007 7:55 PM in response to Texas Mac Man

Are there any advantages to upgrading Netscape Navigator to 4.08? Does the latest version of NCSA Mosaic including NCSA Mosaic Beta 4 work correctly with Open Transport 1.1.2? I read in NCSA Mosaic's User Guide that it requires MacTCP but am wondering if that document is outdated & in need of updating anyway. How do I get Cyberdog to work reliably on 68030/68040 Macs? It runs after I install OpenDoc 1.2.1 & Cyberdog 2.0 itself. The main problem is I keep getting networking related errors about Open Transport malfunctioning somehow whenever I try to open the links to Apple's site from Cyberdog's Notebook. Is there a way to increase the memory allocated to the Open Transport extensions to prevent this? I read about the Netscape Defrost extension in the book Sad Mac, Bombs & Other Disasters And What to do about Them & was wondering how well it actually works or if it helps at all.

Netscape Navigator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.