Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't insert transition

Hi,

I have just imported (as a quicktime movie) a file with a jpeg image with a kaleidescope effect from Motion 2 into FCE. I want to fade out the image with the effect to the flat jpeg image. The jpeg with no effect has a slug underneath it. I have the 2 clips next to each other, but cannot center the transition on both clips. It will only sit on the end of the jpeg with the effect - and I want it centered. However, I can put a transition on the end of the plain jpeg - just not the beginning. Never had this happen, can anyone help? Thanks.

powermac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7), FCE 3.5.1

Posted on Apr 14, 2007 6:31 PM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2007 6:46 PM in response to Julie Cannon

The jpeg with no effect has a slug underneath it.

I take that to mean the jpeg-with-no-effect clip is on V2 right above a slug on V1. And the slug on V1 follows immediately after your kaleidoscope clip also on V1. Get rid of the slug and replace it with the jpeg-with-no-effect clip, on V1. Then make sure you have handles at the end of the kaleidoscope clip and at the beginning of your jpeg-with-no-effect clip. Then insert your transition.

I suspect you have the In Point of the jpeg-with-no-effect clip set at the very beginning of that clip. You'll have to move the In Point in at least 15 frames if you have a 1 sec transition you want to insert.

Apr 14, 2007 7:09 PM in response to MartinR

Hi and thanks for the response. I have footage on V1, so I am working with the slug on V2 and the jpeg-with and without effect on V3. The slug is there so that the jpeg image (which is unfortunately square) does not show the footage on V1 on either side of it. I used a slug because I couldn't figure out the mask. Will try as you suggest if you can take pity on me and tell me how to make sure the footage on V1 is blocked out completely?

Apr 16, 2007 7:55 AM in response to Julie Cannon

OK, I think I understand better what you're dealing with.

Do you want to cross-dissolve the two clips or do you want to fade the first one out to black and then have the plain jpeg appear?

I suspect you want to cross dissolve. You may have to put the first clip on V3 and move the plain jpeg to V4, overlapping them the length of the transition you want. Then instead of using a cross dissolve effect, use keyframes & the opacity controls to fade out the clip on V3 at the same time you fade in the clip on V4.

Can't insert transition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.