Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autofill no longer provides Earthlink Webmail my password

Just recently I had to wait first a little and gradually longer for autofill to provide my password to my earthlink webmail login. My name is provided in snappy fashion but now I have to enter my password manually, and that's a drag because my typing is full of mistakes. Is there an explanation for why this problem propogated gradually until it reached terminal malfunction? Is there a fix?

I should mention that I checked keychain access and that particular password had mysteriously vanished. However reentering it manually made no difference in performance. The "remember me" box is always checked.

Can someone tell me what a pop.earthlink.net internet password is used for, and why I might have two entries under that description in keychain access, but with a different password from my earthlink account?

G4 Quicksilver Mac OS X (10.3.9) 768 MB SDRAM, 733 Mhz PowerPC, no add-ons, 17" NEC multisync lcd monitor

G4 Quicksilver, Mac OS X (10.3.9), 768 MB SDRAM, 733 Mhz PowerPC, no add-ons, 17" NEC multisync lcd monitor

Posted on Apr 14, 2007 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 15, 2007 5:05 AM

Hi RCA2

Re earthlink webmail login delay:

Can someone tell me what a pop.earthlink.net internet password is used for, and why I might have two entries under that description in keychain access, but with a different password from my earthlink account?

One is the password for your earthlink webmail, but having two entries in keychain suggests an attempt to re-establish the original password. There should not be two passwords, if you only use one, so....

delete those Earthlink entries in your keychain,
delete all cookies in Safari,
though have Safari set to Accept cookies
check that Safari Autofill has Usernames and Passwords enabled,
then re enter your username and password in the earthlink site.

See if that returns things to normal.

regards roam
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 15, 2007 5:05 AM in response to RCA2

Hi RCA2

Re earthlink webmail login delay:

One is the password for your earthlink webmail, but having two entries in keychain suggests an attempt to re-establish the original password. There should not be two passwords, if you only use one, so....

delete those Earthlink entries in your keychain,
delete all cookies in Safari,
though have Safari set to Accept cookies
check that Safari Autofill has Usernames and Passwords enabled,
then re enter your username and password in the earthlink site.

See if that returns things to normal.

regards roam

Apr 15, 2007 8:43 AM in response to roam

Thanks Roam,

My cookies had gone stale in the cookie jar. Eliminating and inputing a new login alone didn't fix it, but erasing all Earthlink cookies and logging in again did the trick. Normlly I save cookies from outfits like Earthlink that I use frequently, and manually delete the rest. From now on I might use the Remove All button and get fresh cookies as needed. I wonder if stale cookies are responsible for other glitches, like Safari randomly closing on one of those favorite sites with very old cookies. Back to the lab!

Apr 15, 2007 8:54 AM in response to RCA2

Hi RCA2

Yes, cookies obviously have their uses but can be troublesome at times, and can slow down the browser too, though I'm not sure why. However they are very replaceable. Witness the fact that you get them without asking for them. So trashing them is all upside, no damage.

regards roam

Apr 15, 2007 11:00 AM in response to roam

The one website that Safari would quit randomly is not getting snubbed by Safari anymore (early results, Safari may be baiting me) So that's why there is a Remove All cookie button. It's nice to know this wan't one of those permissions problems. I use the Missing Manual frequently to try to work out problems but it seldom offers a diagnosis for troubles. And neither does Apple. How did computers ever get so popular with so little public comprehension?

Autofill no longer provides Earthlink Webmail my password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.