Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV using Apple Cinema Display

Hi
I have an Apple TV that I want to connect to my old Apple 23" Cinema Display - it's an older model (the older graphite one rather than the newer brushed titanium look)
I have an HDMI to DVI connector for the back of the aTV, but the monitor uses the old ADC to DVI connector and as such the monitor and aTV don't connect directly

How do I connect my old Apple Cinema Display to my Apple TV?? Thanks

David

Powerbook 17" w/ Superdrive, Mac OS X (10.4.3), 1.33 Ghx 1Mb RAM

Posted on Apr 15, 2007 9:46 AM

2 replies

Apr 15, 2007 6:20 PM in response to snappa

I have one of the old 20" Apple Cinema displays that uses an Apple Display Connector (or ADC, combines power, USB, and digital video into one connector). A few years ago I purchased one of Apple's converters that takes separate power, USB, and DVI video and outputs ADC. Now, with that converter I can use standard DVI with the display and with an HDMI (male) to DVI (female) adapter plug I can connect my Apple Cinema display to the AppleTV. So, if you have a captive DVI cable between your display and computer all you should need is the adapter that converts HDMI (output of AppleTV) to a female DVI plug.

I've done just that, the video is output at 1280x800 and it works fine with the AppleTV. You can get the adapters online (probably much cheaper) or a places like Radio Shack and Best Buy.

Apr 16, 2007 9:02 AM in response to Waymen

Keep in mind that even if this works, the resolution of the AppleTV is significantly lower than what the display supports, plus is the wrong format (16x10 instead of 16x9). I'm not sure why you'd want to do this... you could sell that 23" ACD for more money than a 23" LCD HDTV would run you, and just not have to deal with the conversion issues.

Apple TV using Apple Cinema Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.