Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony HDR-HC7

Is anybody using the Sony HDR-HC7 together with iMovie?

I'm planing to get one, but would like to know if anybody has experience in connecting it to iMovie and importing HD movies from it - or any other problems that might show up when using it on an Intel iMac with iLife.

thanks
-Uwe

20'' iMac (Intel), Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 16, 2007 11:01 AM

17 replies

Apr 16, 2007 11:11 AM in response to F Shippey

Did you try this one (or any other HD Camera) with iMovie ... ? I just don't want to run in any unexpected problems (e.g. with my current camera I learned the hard way that the videos recorded in the LP mode with 12bit Audio won't import correct into iMovie ... I have to use my old PC to import those videos which is really a pain since I never wanted to boot that one up again).

I just don't want to spend 1K to learn that I cant use it with iMovie.

thanks
-Uwe

Apr 16, 2007 11:23 AM in response to Uwe_Meier

Did you try this one with iMovie ... ?

No - I just looked at the specifications.

I just don't want to run in any
unexpected problems (e.g. with my current camera I
learned the hard way that the videos recorded in the
LP mode with 12bit Audio won't import correct into
iMovie

That hasn't changed - LP and 12-bit audio are still no-nos.

I just don't want to spend 1K to learn that I cant use it with iMovie.

I understand. Perhaps someone else will have more to add.

F Shippey

Apr 16, 2007 11:24 AM in response to Uwe_Meier

Uwe:

I copied this a long time ago from a discussion forum ( not Apple Discussions). Folks were having a time getting that camera connected. but, it seems it was because they weren't doing it correctly. This is what I copied:

Details are on page 58 upper left corner of your HC7 manual: In the HC7 settings make sure you have i.Link -> DV conversion turned off if iMovie is set to HD. (Conversely, make sure the DV conversion is on if iMovie is working in DV. That is, just make sure your streams are matching formats.)

1. Must have iMovie 6 OPEN
2. Plus the camera must be ON
3. Plus camera must be in VCR mode.
4. Then Plug In The FireWire
5. In iMovie preferences AND the HC7 make sure the settings are coordinated with the settings listed above. Nothing will work if they are not.
6. Make sure your iMovie MODE is switched to the camera position. That's the little slider that has a camera icon on the left and a pair of scissors icon on the right. Without that toggle switched to the left next to the camera icon communication is impossible (as the Japanese like to say).
7. In that mode you will see a blue screen with the words "Camera Attached" in white in the middle of it. Your time code will appear in the upper right corner. (If not you will see the words "No Camera Attached" with a button for "Connection Help" that will launch Apple's own help file including links to other pages that can help as well.)
7. Press play in iMovie and you will see the stream playing from the camera.
8. Press the "Import" button and it will begin to copy the stream to your Movie Folder.

-------

I have never tried that camera myself. But, perhaps you could try one at an Apple store?

Sue

Apr 20, 2007 12:59 PM in response to geoff branagh

I just got the camera and did only a couple of minutes of video for a quick test. I will do more recordings on the weekend and probably can give you an update on Monday.

One problem I encountered with my old camera was that I recorded in the LP mode with 12bit audio which can't be handled by iMovie. The advice I got is don't use LP mode and don't use 12bit audio when using iMovie (or Quicktime) for the capture. I don't know if Final cut has the same problem. So make sure that you don't have the LP recording turned on.

From reading the manual of the Sony, you can turn on some 'convertions' for playback so that you can play HDV material on older TV sets (4:3) and so on. But I guess you already made sure that you use the same settings in iMovie as you do for playback in the camcorder settings.

I did not touch those settings (yet). So I recorded in HDV, played them back through the camera as HDV and also opend the iMovie project as HDV project (not the default DV).

That looked ok in my first quick test, but I will updated once I recored and imported more data.

Apr 24, 2007 5:52 AM in response to geoff branagh

Hi Geoff,

last night I was importing 45min of video from the Sony camera. The only problem I had was that after ~30min iMovie died unexpected. In the next try I imported first 30min and than the last 15min without problem. I will retry the full length later this week (there were still 40GB free on that drive, but I anyway ordered a new firedrive and will try than recording on that one).

I can't see any issue with the audio/video synchronization.

So it does not seem to be a problem with the camera but rather some settings on either your camcorder or iMovie.

As mentioned earlier, I know there are synchronization issues when using 12bit audio and/or LP recording mode. (on my PC I used this for recording - but now I stay away from those settings).

So the only advice I can give you:
- make sure you use 16bit audio
- make sure you record in SP and not LP

In case you use the HDV recording:
- make sure that playback mode is set to HDV (this is the default in the sony)
- make sure the iMovie project is a HDV project not DV

hope that helps
-Uwe

May 9, 2007 8:33 AM in response to Uwe_Meier

Just curious as I am looking at this camera as well.

What are you guys planning on doing with your iMovie projects? As i see it you can edit and push back to HDV tape (correct) or downrez and burn to iDVD.

Still no support for any Blu-Ray burner (correct)?

Are you guys happily waiting for Leopard in the Fall with hopes of being able to do more with HDV?

Dual Core 2.3 Powermac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.9)

May 13, 2007 6:08 AM in response to Michael Randow

I currently use the Sony HDR-HC3, I got a killer deal on it that I couldn't pass up (700 along with a $200 gift card when purchased). I am using iMovie to import and edit my content. I have done 2 things as far as playback is concerned. I have pushed it back to the HDV tape to use the camcorder as the playback device on my HDTV (via HDMI), and I have saved the edited video in mp4 format to store on my hard drive and playback via my AppleTV. When converted for viewing on AppleTV I did notice that the resoltion dropped down to 540p (it ended up being 9xx x 540) however I am hard pressed to tell the difference between the full resolution HDV and the mp4 file when viewed on my 50" DLP. I am currently crossing my fingers in hopes for blu-ray authoring support to be announced at the WWDC. We'll see though.

Jul 10, 2007 4:53 PM in response to Uwe_Meier

Hi,

I just bought one of these cameras today and can't get it to work with either iMovie or Final Cut Express HD, so I am obviously doing something badly wrong. The Sony Manual is rubbish when it comes to Macs! Having read this thread I will try some of your suggestions. However, before I do, can anyone help me on a more fundamental problem? The Sony iLink cable that came with my (UK Version) camera appears to have the same connector at both ends and that only seems to fit the camera end. So I have been trying to use the USB cable that came with it. Does anyone know where I can get an iLink to Firewire 400 or 800 cable?....or can I use the USB cable? Help.

David

G5 Mac OS X (10.4.9) 1 X 30" & 1 X 23" Cinema Screens, 4 GB Ram, 2 X 400GB internal & 4 X 1TB external storage

Jul 11, 2007 11:39 AM in response to Uwe_Meier

You can only transfer video from this camcorder using the firewire connection. You cannot use the USB cable to transfer video into iMovie. The USB cable is for transferring still images from the camcorder's memory card into iPhoto.

The firewire cable you need to use will have a "four pin" connector on one end that fits into the camera, and a "six pin" connector on the other end to connect to the Mac Book. iMovie will recognize the camera immediately if so connected. I recommend you have iMovie open and running, have the camera on and set to VTR (playback mode), then connect the firewire cable.

Make sure, if you have shot HD footage, that your new project is HDV 1080i before you begin the capture.

Mac Book Pro Mac OS X (10.4.8) Windows XP Home PC

Sony HDR-HC7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.