Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Samsung SGH-X830.

Hi, I've seen that a lot of people ask around the Samsung phones.
I post this both to see if I can get some tips around it, and to make it show that people still want Samsung Phone support in iSync.
Better Samsung support for AdressBook wouldn't be bad either, I was not able to transfer more than one contact at a time from within Adressbook, but that's not the issue here.
I'd like too see the Samsung phones supported by iSync, it would be nice to not have to make things in both calenders manually. And of course all the benefits of syncing are wanted.

Anyone have thoughts, or hopes with me for better Samsung phones? Lets keep this thread alive, maybe that's enough to convince Apple to implement it, or at least to get an official view on the subject.

Thank you for your time. ๐Ÿ™‚

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 18, 2007 1:17 PM

14 replies

Apr 18, 2007 2:44 PM in response to Azalin

You should be directing your comments at Samsung.

It is Samsung who have chosen not to implement the industry standard SyncML protocol in most of their phones, which stops them working with iSync.

Only the D600 and D900 are supported, and only since 10.4.9.

Apple cannot change the syncing protocols used in Samsung phones. All Apple can do is make sure iSync works with industry standards, which it does. It is then up to Samsung to use these industry standards in their phones.

Not only do Samsung use their own incompatible and proprietary syncing methods in most of their phones, they also choose not to produce Mac syncing software like they do for thier Windows customers.

So, you should be asking Samsung two things:

1) Why don't they use industry standards in their phones to allow iSync to work.
2) Or, why don't they provide alternative syncing software for Mac users

Apr 19, 2007 3:19 AM in response to Azalin

With the current release of OSX (10.4.9) and with all updates in place I have absolutely no problem syncing my Samsung SGH-D900 using iSync on either my Intel MacBookPro or my PPC G5 Quad.

The list provided by Apple here:
http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/isync/devices.html

..should clarify which phones are supported by the current iSync version.

And look ๐Ÿ™‚
A couple of Samsung phones... :-D

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ˜‰

Apr 19, 2007 4:03 AM in response to Julian Wright

I fail to see your point, as there has to be differences in the phones they already have. It it wasn't then there would only need to be one software for syncing those phone on a pc, witch there isn't. So Apple must already have written protocols for communication between those phones, but are neglecting Samsung.
I agree with some posts I've read around here, that this is a very bad move towards their users.
They should get in touch with Samsung and get the details they need to write a protocol for communication. It isn't like it's impossible, as there came a cd with windows software with the phone.
Not industry standard is never an excuse, and it kinda kills what they like to say.

"It just works"..? well obviously not anymore. ๐Ÿ˜‰

MacBook Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Apr 19, 2007 4:22 AM in response to Azalin

If I'm not mistaken (and I might be) then it's actually Samsung who has kept the protocol for communication for themselves.

As far as I've read (somewhere - might be in this discussiongroup) someone mentioned that Samsung hasn't legalized the release to Apple - for whatever reason...

But it seems like the communication works as there are currently 2 supported Samsung phones. I own the D900 and it works great - all as promised by Apple. There might be features which can be obtained using PC-Studio on Windows that isn't available on Mac - but that's just something we Mac users has to live with... forever... ๐Ÿ™‚

Just IMO.

Apr 19, 2007 5:21 AM in response to Morten Grantzau

So far so good..
Sent this email to Samsung Support, so lets see what happens:

Hi, I've been looking for software/drivers for this phone on Apple, but none is available either on your site or on Apple.com
Why is this?
I'm very satisfied with the phone, but I can't recomend your phones to anyone if there is no software to be found.
Apple does not have any drivers either, and I'm stuck in the middle.
Are you withholding the nessesary information, so that Apple isn't able to make drivers, or are you unwilling to have your phones used with any other Os than windows?

I hope to see drivers/software available from you or apple, so I can use my phone to the potential that you claim it to have.

Regards
Torbjรธrn Stirler

Apr 19, 2007 5:47 AM in response to Azalin

The point is, that the Samsung D600 and D900 (the only ones that work with iSync) are the only Samsung phones that use the SyncML protocol.

SyncML is an industry standard for syncing data between computers and mobile devices.

Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Siemens, Panasonic all use it in their phones.

Up until the D600 and D900, Samsung chose to use their own proprietary, non-standard, and incompatible syncing protocol - not SyncML like everyone else.

Hopefully, the D600 and D900 are a sign that Samsung have finally realized the importance of using industry standards, and hopefully all their future phones will be iSync compatible as a result.

For Samsung's older phones, which do not support SyncML, there is nothing that can be done.

Apr 19, 2007 6:26 AM in response to Julian Wright

I can see what you mean, but your thinking is backwards,both sides want consumers (us) to use their product.
If this is their stand, that means no respect for their cusomers. Just stating that it's not following standard has nothing to do with it. It's like talking to a programmer about a piece of software, and the programmer simply answering that he can't make that application because it does not fit into industry standard.
Or even better, "heres your bank card mister X. Oh by the way, you can only use it in our banks. We "forgot" to mention that."

See my point? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Thing is, we are Apple and Samsung users, but the companies whose hardware and software we want to use either just wants our money or doesn't care, if what you say is true.
There is no such thing as "can't be implemented".
How many standards are there in computers, what's to say that they can't implement this one? And don't just answer "it's not industry standard" again.
And especially since they (Samsung) is finally having some phones that work, this gives Apple/Samsung the time and opportunity to make the "older" models work. After all, the X830 that I'm using is maybe half a year old or something. The market changes fast, but not that fast.

Apr 19, 2007 6:35 AM in response to Azalin

In most of your statements I agree ๐Ÿ™‚

I, too, think that it's a shame that the two companies can't find a solution - but then again, if Apple were to find a solution to every single hardware unit available, they would have no time to develop new awesome hardware for us consumers to spend our money at ๐Ÿ™‚

That being said, I've heard (read) that the iPhone to be released should use some Samsung parts (not quite sure what and I have no way of confirming this) - However, this seems to disprove that the two companies can't work together - maybe it's a legal matter that has caused this incomparability or maybe it's something else - who knows?

I have no idea if it's possible to release a new firmware that utilizes the standard protocol for the Samsung phone (older than the D900 and D600) but, more likely, it's not gonna happen... It would be easier if someone could create a small program (or script) between the iSync application and the "older" Samsung non-standard protocol. It's done before and should be possible for someone clever to do it - that is IF the SDK for the phone's software is available the developers.

However, I agree that it's a pain in the a** that the two companies products doesn't work together - But I somehow (after writing in this thread) find it hard who to blame. I know for sure, that the next time I have to buy a new phone I'll check the list of supported phones and THEN select the one I find the best (for me). Should be "safe" to say that the iSync application will be backward compatible so as long as the phone is on the list I'll be home free.

Apr 19, 2007 6:54 AM in response to Azalin

You seem to be forgetting two very fundamental things.

From Samsungs perspective
1) The Macs total market-share of computers is less the 5%. Then, out of that 5% there's a very small number of Mac users who actually use Samsung phones (most choose Nokia or Sony Ericsson because they've always been well supported on the Mac).

So for Samsung, its not worth the financial outlay to spend $$$ developing custom syncing software for a such a small number of people.

Basically, Samsung don't really care if they lose a few hundred/thousand possible customers. Its not worth their time, effort or cost to develop solutions to keep them.

From Apple's perspective
2) Apple have already done the hard-work. They've implemented industry standards in iSync. There's the SyncServices framework in the OS. There's the PhonePlugins architecture to extend support for additional models.

Now, you want Apple to spend $$$$ and time reverse engineering Samsungs proprietary syncing protocols to support the tiny minority of people who didn't bother to check iSync compatibility before buying a new phone?

If Apple do that, where should they stop? Should they do the same for every other mobile phone manufacturer? It's impossible for Apple to support every non-standard syncing protocol out there. That's why industry standards exist.

Do you think USB would've been such a success if every printer, scanner or digital camera manufacturer decided to use their own proprietary connection method?

There are hundreds of iSync compatible phones. Over 60 from Sony Ericsson alone. You had a free choice of which phone to buy. You chose an unsupported Samsung model.

You're right, there is no thing as "can't be implemented". But you have to ask whether it is practically or financially viable to do it.

SyncML has been around for years (not just since you've had your X830). It was Samsungs choice to use their own proprietary syncing protocol, rather than the industry standard. That's not Apple's fault.

It was also your choice to buy a phone that isn't compatible.

It's not worth Apple pursuing syncing of older phones. Most people upgrade their phone every 12 months or so anyway.

And, finally, lets not forget, Apple now have a vested interest in pushing people towards buying an iPhone - the ultimate Mac compatible phone.

Apr 19, 2007 7:03 AM in response to Julian Wright

Some rather good points.

The best bet, so far, is that some developer (not Samsung or Apple) will develop an "in-between" application that can translate from the older protocol to the "newer" protocol (as seen with some of the later Sony Ericsson before the 10.4.9 update).

But then it relies on the fact that Samsung would release their SDK - otherwise (as far as I know) it's pretty difficult - if not impossible - to develop anything at all in that direction.

We, or the people having the need for this, should ask Samsung about the SDK. There's enough developers "out there" who are capable of developing an application to sit "in-between".

Samsung SGH-X830.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.