Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Artist listed twice in iPod

I have seven albums by Jean-Michel Jarre in iTunes. In iTunes they display OK; but on my iPod the Artist is listed TWICE under "Artists". The spelling is identical. All seven albums are listed under each list entry of the Artist. The number of tracks on the iPod is exactly the same as in iTunes - so no duplication.

So what the **** is going on? I cannot get a handle on why the Artist is listed twice on the iPod. Anyone have any ideas?

NigelS

Posted on Apr 18, 2007 3:13 PM

6 replies

Apr 18, 2007 3:49 PM in response to Nigel Smith2

Are you absolutely sure the tags in iTunes are correct for all albums? This happened to me several weeks ago, & the problem was that, for whatever reason, CDDB had put an extra space in front of the artist name on one of 3 CD's by this artist that I was importing. It took me like a week & several posts in the forums for help before I caught the problem.

Apr 19, 2007 9:29 AM in response to StarDeb55

Thanks for responding. I have checked & re-checked even retagging the Artist and several other fields but nothing has helped.

I am in the process of restoring the iPod and completely re-copying all the tracks down - will see if that helps; though I don't hold much hope, as I did this recently when I clean installed Vista onto my new PC.

Nigel

Apr 19, 2007 9:33 AM in response to Dan F.

I don't want to delete & re-add as I will lose the playcount, history & ratings. But I have restored the ipod to factory and am re-sending the tracks.

I changed the Artist name by adding the hyphen e-acute accent on the surname but this made no difference.

Annoying one this....I have 115 Artists on the iPod and only Jean Michel is duplicated (thought the albums are definitely only the ipod once).

Nigel

Apr 19, 2007 11:58 AM in response to Dan F.

Well the restore & reload of the iPod should take care of the removal of the albums from the ipod.

(Later)
Well the restore didn't work. 😟

However, whilst it was restoring, I inspected the file "iTunes Music Library.xml" with a File Viewer and did a search for Jean Michel. Interestingly, I found that 2 tracks were tagged in the "Sort Artist" tag-field, with a variant of the Artist name; and this field was blank in all the other tracks.

I hadn't previously known about this field; but once I deleted the two entries from "Sort Artist" and re-sync'd the iPod; the two Jean Michel entries merged to become one! Eureka 🙂

Thanks,
NigelS

Artist listed twice in iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.