Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and NTSC captures

I am using iMovie to import a series of old videotapes and have a problem with one of them.

The VCR is connected to my Mac via a Canopus ADVC55 – the cable is SCART to S-Video (which I assume is OK, or should it be straight S-Video?). All the tapes that I've tried have captured, bar one. That is a US home video and therefore presumably NTSC rather than PAL. That neither previews nor records in iMovie though I can view it fine if the VCR is connected to a TV. I have tried flipping the PAL/NTSC dipswitch on the ADVC55 but that makes no difference. The project is a PAL one and in iMovie HD 6 I see no way of setting the default for new projects to NTSC (it seems to have been in Prefs in earlier versions). Oddly enough if I stop the VCR whilst attempting to record I get one frame appearing in iMovie's preview window.

What is going on here? Should I be able to capture from an NTSC source? If so, how?

Mac Pro Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 2:40 AM

11 replies

Apr 22, 2007 11:21 AM in response to Lennart Thelander

That's actually what I was doing. The program behaves in a bizarre manner. If I swap to default of 29.97 it will sometimes open a new project with a window labelled NTSC, sometimes not. If I save that project and reopen it it will sometimes reopen labelled NTSC, sometimes not. Mystifying.

Unfortunately I still can't import my tape whatever the setting.

Apr 22, 2007 11:43 AM in response to Stymied again

Fact check time: You are playing an NTSC tape using a PAL video recorder that plays NTSC as well as PAL. The output of this video recorder would usually be hooked up to a PAL TV set. Is this correct? If this is the case, it's anybodys guess what the output out of the video recorder is - but it may be more related to PAL than it is to NTSC.

Does anyone think/know what the video format out actually is?

Should I be able to capture from an NTSC source?

My suspicion is that you wil need a true NTSC video player to do this.

iMovie and NTSC captures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.