You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shockwave Daily Jigsaw puzzle

Hello all, (this is a repeat of my post at iMac CRT)

Does anyone play the Daily Jigsaw on Shockwave's site? I haven't been able to access it all month. I've reloaded Netscape, Flash, and emptied my cache. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Irene

slot 350 mhz iMac 320 RAM, Mac OS 9.2.x, verizon dsl

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 7:20 AM

31 replies

Apr 24, 2007 9:05 PM in response to iMac Newbie

User uploaded file Long time no see.........

From reading the "tips" on the puzzle site I suspect you would be better off trying to stick with IE. Not Mozilla friendly (Netscape).
I think I read you have the latest Shockwave & FlashPlayer plug-ins right for your OS?
NP-PPC-dir-shockwave
ShockwavePlugin.class
Shockwave flash NP-PPC

When I had OS 9.1, I played my "java & Shockwave/Flash" games using IE & iCab. For some reason Netscape & Mozilla were a little flaky when it came to playing those type of games.

Try the following with IE (you may have already done some of the things listed):
Once a week in IE Edit>Preferences, delet History, Empty Cache (if you have cable set Cache to 0).

Once a week Go into the system folder>preferences folder & trash the following preferences:
finder
ASLM
PPC Registration Database
Cache.waf-found inside the MS Internet Cache folder
MRJ Cache folder-a new one will be recreated.(If not found go to System folder>Application Support>MRJ Cache folder-trash all you find inside-( DO NOT TRASH THIS FOLDER)
Download Cache-found inside Explorer Folder
Downloads.html-found inside Explorer Folder
History.html-found inside Explorer Folder

Rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Use Techtool Lite or Trash*Desktop - may delete Finder comments to rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Does a better job than manually & you avoid all the finger gymnatics. You just have to hold down the shift key to shut off extensions.
Restart to turn the extensions back on again & empty the trash.

If you want to rebuild manually, see KB article http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10182 Rebuilding Desktop File and Icon Recovery.

Good luck!
User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2007 8:16 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Dear BB Angel,

Indeed long time no see! Thank you so much for your usual detailed and voluminous response. Unfortunately, I still can't access the puzzle. However, I'll go point from point just to make sure I did everything that I could.

Just out of curiousity, how many people still reading this thread CAN access the puzzle? Is it eluding only me and my iMac 9.2.2? Oh and BB, if you and Felix are indeed flirting, then I'm flirting back! 🙂

Now the details:

From reading the "tips" on the puzzle site I suspect
you would be better off trying to stick with IE. Not
Mozilla friendly (Netscape):

DONE
I think I read you have the latest Shockwave &
FlashPlayer plug-ins right for your OS?
NP-PPC-dir-shockwave
ShockwavePlugin.class
Shockwave flash NP-PPC:

DONE
When I had OS 9.1, I played my "java &
Shockwave/Flash" games using IE & iCab. For some
reason Netscape & Mozilla were a little flaky when it
came to playing those type of games.

DONE (Shockwave says it doesn't support iCab, and it bogs down when I visit the site)
Try the following with IE (you may have already done
some of the things listed):
in IE
Edit>Preferences, delet History, Empty Cache (if you
have cable set Cache to 0):

DONE
Go into
the system folder>preferences folder & trash the
following preferences:
finder
ASLM
PPC Registration Database:

DONE
Cache.waf-found inside the MS Internet Cache folder
MRJ Cache folder-a new one will be recreated.(If not
found go to System folder>Application Support>MRJ
Cache folder-trash all you find inside-DO NOT TRASH THIS FOLDER

DONE--There were almost 400 items inside dating back to 2004!

However, I couldn't find these last three so I didn't do them.
History.html-found inside Explorer Folder

Rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Use Techtool Lite or Trash*Desktop - may delete Finder comments
to rebuild your desktop w/extensions off. Does a
better job than manually & you avoid all the finger
gymnatics. You just have to hold down the shift key
to shut off extensions.
Restart to turn the extensions back on again & empty
the trash.

DONE (you've walked me through Techtool before 🙂
If you want to rebuild manually, see KB article
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=10182
Rebuilding Desktop File and Icon Recovery.

Good luck!

Still reading? Thanks again, and look forward to hearing from you again.

All the best,

Irene

slot 350 mhz iMac 320 RAM Mac OS 9.2.x verizon dsl

Apr 25, 2007 8:35 AM in response to iMac Newbie

"However, I couldn't find these last three so I didn't do them.
History.html-found inside Explorer Folder"

Those files should be inside the Preferences Folder>Explorer Folder. Use Sherlock to locate.

I am going over a friends house who still uses OS 9.1. I will be trying that site out & report back later this evening.
He doesn't use or want IE so I will have to install & uninstall it myself to test it out if no one else responds.
User uploaded file

Apr 25, 2007 2:18 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I'm back.................

iMac Newbie I had no problems playing the puzzle using OS 9.1. The only other differernce was the computer had MRJ 2.2.5 installed.

Double check your Shockwave & Flash Players versions to make sure you actually have the latest versions for your current OS.
You should be using:
Shockwave v10.1.1.016
Flash Player 7.0r69

Check to see if there are preferences for those files. If so, trash them & try the site again. Maybe they became corrupted.
I found a Shockwave preference on the computer I was working on.

Since Shockwave re-did their game site, you may need to redownload the players.
You can re-download the Shockwave & Flash Players either from VersionTracker or the Adobe Flash Software website.
User uploaded file

P.S.Did you ever find those 3 files that are suppose to be inside Explorer's preference folder?

Apr 25, 2007 5:45 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

Dear BB (and Don),

Amazing again, you have managed to test out and return before I have a chance to even answer your reply! I found and trashed the last three items. I also downloaded and reinstalled shockwave and flash. Unfortunately, I still cannot access the puzzle. So puzzling!

Also, I tried to set up a poll of how many Macs are able to play Daily Jigsaw. However, the hosts removed both polls?!?

All the best,

Irene
(still flirting 🙂

Shockwave Daily Jigsaw puzzle

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.