Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uneven display backlight

Now that I finally got my display flicker fixed (for now) I am finally beginning to notice that the backlight isn't perfectly evenly uniformly lit like a CRT or even a desktop LCD which can have multiple light tubes. Looking at Tom's Hardware for the first time in a long time last night, I see that display uniformity is not one of the characteristics of even desktop LCDs.

On my MacBook, I can perceive that the right side is slightly dimmer, the bottom side is slightly dimmer, and a touch on the left.. center and top regions seem fine. It is subtle but it is there and a camera could probably see it better.

Par for the course with this screen?

MacBook 2.0 White, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 7:53 AM

3 replies

Apr 22, 2007 1:49 PM in response to Eric Kracinski

Unfortunately, Apple geniuses have been told to say that unevenly illuminated displays are 'within specifications' no matter how bad they are. Of course, Apple would be swamped with returns and replacement requests if they actually admitted that it's not acceptable. You need to know what is normal or not before you go in and then stick to your guns and insist that they replace it.

a certain degree of uneven illumination probably is normal. I've never seen a macbook or macbook pro that has not had some degree of it. These bright displays tend to show it more than the older, but dimmer, Apple laptop displays.

Good luck!

Uneven display backlight

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.