Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 2.1

Lately, emails that I have moved to other mailboxes or deleted months ago, re-appear in my inbox or my junk mail box. When I move them to trash and delete them them sometimes re appear again. Sometimes, when I try to "erase all deleted messages" it leaves a few in the trash. I file emails in a number of different mailboxes, could that be the problem? Help!

G-4 AGP 450, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 6:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2007 6:26 PM

To rule out any directory problems on your boot volume first, run Disk First Aid repair on your boot volume via Disk Utility when booted from your Tiger install disc. Don't use Verify - select Repair Disk. If any problems are reported and successfully repaired, run Repair again until no problems are reported.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1018.html

Next, quit Mail first and using the Finder go to Home > Library > Mail. Copy the Mail folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail > Envelope Index.

Delete the Envelope Index file and empty the Trash.

The Envelope Index file stores an index of all mailboxes and messages within.

Launch Mail and you will be prompted to import mailboxes. Select OK and allow this process to complete. This isn't really importing anything but replacing the deleted Envelope Index file and re-indexing all mailboxes and messages.

After confirming all mailboxes are available, you can delete the copy of the Mail folder placed on the Desktop.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2007 6:26 PM in response to stuffaz

To rule out any directory problems on your boot volume first, run Disk First Aid repair on your boot volume via Disk Utility when booted from your Tiger install disc. Don't use Verify - select Repair Disk. If any problems are reported and successfully repaired, run Repair again until no problems are reported.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=DiskUtility/10.5/en/duh1018.html

Next, quit Mail first and using the Finder go to Home > Library > Mail. Copy the Mail folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail > Envelope Index.

Delete the Envelope Index file and empty the Trash.

The Envelope Index file stores an index of all mailboxes and messages within.

Launch Mail and you will be prompted to import mailboxes. Select OK and allow this process to complete. This isn't really importing anything but replacing the deleted Envelope Index file and re-indexing all mailboxes and messages.

After confirming all mailboxes are available, you can delete the copy of the Mail folder placed on the Desktop.

Mail 2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.