Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected Power Down Of G4, PMU Responsible?

Hi Everyone,

I have a heavily modified Quicksilver G4 system. Model is M8360LL/A. Today I discovered the machine completely powered itself down for reasons I cannot readily determine.

The system is hooked up to an APC UPS, and no power failure took place in our area.

I browsed multiple logs, I did not detect an intrusion or remote shutdown command executed.

The only logs that indicate a problem was related to the PMU. The system's clock was reset to Dec. 31 1969 upon startup, then corrected when sync'ed with a time server:

[system.log]:
Dec 31 18:00:26 localhost kernel[0]: ApplePMU::CLOCK RESET! PMU WAS PROBABLY RESET SOMEHOW!!

The panic.log has not been updated since 2006, so the OS did not crash.

I have not done further testing yet to see if the battery on the system board needs to be replaced, but I'm wondering if the PMU will shut the machine off suddenly if it detects a condition that could harm the hardware (e.g. a power spike, etc.).

Any guidance on this issue would be greatly appreciated!

Power Mac G4 QuickSilver (M8360LL/A) Mac OS X (10.4) 2 GHz Processor Upgrade (Giga Designs), 1.5 GB RAM, 5 Internal HDDs

Posted on Apr 22, 2007 5:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2007 7:45 PM

Since you are powered by a UPS, I can't image that a "glitch" in your 120V house power could come thru the UPS. However, since your time reset, it indicates that your internal battery needs replacement. Check this site for battery part numbers and sources. Mac PRAM, NVRAM, CUDA/PMU & Battery Tutorial

 Cheers, Tom
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 22, 2007 7:45 PM in response to AppleGeek

Since you are powered by a UPS, I can't image that a "glitch" in your 120V house power could come thru the UPS. However, since your time reset, it indicates that your internal battery needs replacement. Check this site for battery part numbers and sources. Mac PRAM, NVRAM, CUDA/PMU & Battery Tutorial

 Cheers, Tom

Apr 23, 2007 12:43 AM in response to AppleGeek

Today I discovered the machine
completely powered itself down for reasons I cannot
readily determine.

The only logs that indicate a problem was related to
the PMU. The system's clock was reset to Dec. 31
1969 upon startup, then corrected when sync'ed with a
time server:

These are unrelated problems. The clock was reset becaue yu need to replace a battery. That's easy. The real poblem is the machine powered itself down. My G4 started doing this too. It turns off at random and will not power back up for five or so minutes. My guess is the power supply in my G4 needs to be replaced. You could be having a problem with the PS too.

Apr 23, 2007 1:09 AM in response to AppleGeek

Hi, AppleGeek -

The date reset is almost invariably an indicator the battery needs replacing.

However, the auto-shutdown sounds more like a heat issue - many Macs will suddenly shut down if the processor starts to overheat. One method sometimes used to test that is to run for a while with the side-panel door open. Caution - if you have curious kids or small animals around, that may not be a wise thing to do.

Apr 23, 2007 8:27 AM in response to Don Archibald

I replaced the battery last night, that issue is resolved. Please keep in mind I wasn't connecting the battery issue with a sudden shutdown, but that PMU message was the only indicator I could find that might explain why the system powered off suddenly.

Does the PMU determine if the system needs to power off in order to preserve the integrity of the hardware (e.g. processor)?

The power supply has already been replaced recently...the old one had a dead fan, which led to a lot of other heat issues that went away once I swapped it out.

The room the machine runs in averages 70 - 72 degrees F during winter, and 75 - 80 degrees F during spring/summer. Humidity varies between 40 - 60%. As far as I've seen from the operating specifications of the system, these ranges are acceptable. The room was around 80F and 60% humidity at the time I discovered it had powered off.

I run a quick open-case test about once a month to check for dead fans. Currently all are running. I also have an additional PCI fan that blows air out of the case.

If I have time tonight, I'll search the discussion boards (and Google 🙂 for any information I can find on unexpected power-downs for this type of system.

If the CPU is the cause, it is worth noting that I installed 2 GHz upgrade from Giga Designs about 2 - 3 years ago. If the problem continues/becomes more frequent, I still have the original heatsink and CPU that I could install to see the hardware is defecting, or if I've managed to accidentally smear the thermal compound onto the edges of the CPU itself (I had a Windows PC that kept "zapping" off because of poorly applied thermal compound).

Thanks for all the feedback, keep it coming!

Apr 23, 2007 8:30 AM in response to CJAlbertson

Is your PSU's fan dead? As I noted in my post below/above, I had to replace that part a while back because the fan stopping spinning, leading to heat issues with the entire system. Surprisingly though, the system still ran for a long time until I actually noticed the problem! After that discovery, I decided to begin performing monthly checks of the fans by doing a quick open-case test with a flashlight.

Apr 23, 2007 8:06 PM in response to AppleGeek

The fan works fine. Or at least hot air blows out. If the fan was dead It would be an easy fix. I've got a ton of spare 12V fans arund.

I suspect some temperature sensor has become over sensitive and is causing the shutdown. If I had a source for the Apple power supply I'd swap it out with a new one. But lacking a source I'll have to open it up and look inside.

Apr 24, 2007 9:39 PM in response to Don Archibald

Does anyone have recommendations on "mac friendly" temperature probes to install inside a G4? While I'm well aware of the environmental temperatures, I'm less aware of the true operating temperatures inside the case.

The closest I can get to getting a live sensor reading is from my HDDs via Temperature Monitor. I'm hoping someone knows of a good product that can be installed to monitor internal temperature (or connect to a CPU heatsink), ideally via software that understands how to communicate with the sensor.

A long while back I found an interesting mod article about a guy who replaced his internal speaker with a custom made holder for a simple temperature probe that he wedged within the heatsink, but that's beyond my interest in doing.

Thanks!

Unexpected Power Down Of G4, PMU Responsible?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.