Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

F14, F15, F16 -- why are these keys on my Mac Keyboard ?

*** !!

Why are these keys added to my Macintosh Keyboard [circa September 2006] if the **** operating system won't allow us to use them ?

What the **** Apple ??

Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 23, 2007 8:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2007 8:54 PM

F14 & F15 control the display brightness. You should be able to assign a command or function of your choice to the Function Keys.

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts

Hope that helps!
9 replies

Apr 24, 2007 3:58 AM in response to Jp Cooper

My 5+ year old keyboard has the F13 F14 F15 keys sitting all by their lonesome above the help, home, page up block of keys, and I set them to do the three Expose functions, so the system will use them (at least if you have the right hack). All the F keys used to be handier though, back in the OS 9 days, when I assigned them to do all sort of things.
Francine

User uploaded file
Francine
Schwieder

Apr 24, 2007 6:27 AM in response to Francine Schwieder

That's why I downloaded the freeware hotkeys shortcut operator Spark at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/22675

I do exactly all the stuff I used to do with function keys on OS 9; and even more, using combinations. I set it up for my wife recently switching at long last up to OS X. One function key for opening her email application, one for opening Safari etc. Switch up couldn't have been easier for her.

F14, F15, F16 -- why are these keys on my Mac Keyboard ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.