Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime 7 freezes PC

Hi all,

Quicktime 7 freezes my PC completely to the point where I have to hard reset the machine.

Background info:
PC is running Win2k SP4, latest DirectX (9.0c, I believe)
Quicktime 6 worked just fine
Quicktime 6 was completely uninstalled prior to installation of Quicktime 7.
Issue has only been tested with .mov files (I use VLC for all other formats)
First .mov file will play fine, but the computer freezes when trying to close the player, or open another .mov file.
Multiple .mov files have been tried with the same results
Uninstalling Quicktime 7 and then reinstalling Quicktime 6 will carry the problem with it (i.e., now Quicktime 6 won't work like it did before, exhibiting the same freezing issues)
Tweaking Video and Audio Hardware acceleration does not improve situation
PC was completely wiped, reinstalled fresh, updated fresh, and Quicktime 7 installed prior to any other video/codec installs -- same problem exists.
I use Creative ES1371 chipset audio card
I use Kyro II 64MB video card
Quicktime 7 works on other PCs -- this is a test base for Win2k compatability

Question:
Are there any available service packs, patches, or fixes that I can try? The support documents I ran across specify the first fix to be "update to Quicktime 7," so I'm considering those to be completely useless. I've also been troubleshooting desktop client software for 10+ years, so I've seen this type of thing before -- if a solution is not available, then the solution is to never utilize the software ever again. I'd prefer not to do that, but sometimes the situation merits the decision.

Gateway Windows 2000

Posted on Apr 25, 2007 3:56 AM

4 replies

Apr 25, 2007 7:04 AM in response to generalzaud

These symptoms your getting on the computer seem to indicate a hardware conflict. And that's one of the things it will do is lock up the computer when playing a multimedia file. Was any hardware added or did someone work on the computer?
It could also be a non-compatible video card driver.
Where you've re-installed the OS it seems unlikely to be a software conflict.
Open the Device Manager, if there's a exclamation mark inside a yellow circle, that might be helpful in troubleshooting.

Apr 27, 2007 3:16 AM in response to Jacumba

Well, there's nothing wrong in Device Manager -- I'm very particular about maintenance of my computers. After all, it's what I do for a living. Also, the hardware on the machine hasn't changed in a few years -- like I said, Quicktime 6 works fine before version 7 is introduced -- sounds like a crap build, if you ask me. If hardware is an issue, then why do all other movie, audio (yes, even iTunes), and soft-DVD programs work just fine? Only Quicktime has a problem performing.

Regardless, I found a piece of software that will convert .mov files into PC-friendly formats (Xvid, .mpg, .wmv, etc.), so there's no reason to use this software any longer. I was hoping more to find a solution to the software problem -- from what I see on this discussion site, there are a lot of people with similar issues.

Apr 27, 2007 7:48 AM in response to generalzaud

If hardware is an issue, then why do all other movie, audio

On this computer that I am on, everything worked fine, except when you played a Mp3. A third of the way through the computer would lock up. A CD-RW drive jumper was set to cable select when it needed to be set to slave. That's all it takes, if the slightest thing is not configured correctly, there's a problem. Fortunately I was the idiot that put the CD-RW in originally, so I was able to recall the last thing that was done to the computer before it started acting up.
The problem your computer is having is not being caused by QT7, it's working on a billion computers.

Apr 29, 2007 10:29 AM in response to generalzaud

Hm. Quicktime 6 works. Quicktime 7 doesn't. Must be my hardware causing the problem.

Thanks so much for confirming that the ultimate solution is to get rid of Quicktime 7, and never install it again. I think we can live just fine without it.

For those curious, the Allok Mov Converter is an excellent solution, and does not require the Quicktime engine to operate properly.

Problem solved.

Quicktime 7 freezes PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.