Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

power calibration area error (0x73,0x03) when I attempt to burn DVD

I have a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D burner in G% PowerMac purchased in December 2004. It will burn CD's using Toast but it won't even complete asset encoding when attempting to burn DVD's using either DVD Studio Pro or iDVD. Anyone ever seen this error message before? If so, what did you do to fix the problem?
Thanks for whatever help you can give,
Roger Legel

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Apr 25, 2007 12:33 PM

5 replies

Apr 26, 2007 9:11 AM in response to afterimage

yes, I got this error about a year ago, and so I was told to change the media that you use to burn. I was using RiDATA DVD-R's, and they worked for a year or so, then they stopped working and I would get the error, so I changed over to a different DVD-R, I believe Tyundens, unsure though, and they worked for about a year, and now they no longer work anymore, and I am getting issues with them. They work when I burn small 5 minute projects, but anything larger than that, it gives me the error.

SO my question is this? Do I have to keep on changing on what DVD-R's I use every year because the DVD burner is that picky????

I need the problem to be fixed as well!!!

Apr 28, 2007 10:10 AM in response to Rodrigozs

Mine was working fine, until... 2007-04-20 15:06:47
-0400: Installed "Security Update 2007-004 (PowerPC)"
(1.0)... after installing this security update all I
get is.... The Drive Reported Error: Sense Key=
MEDIUM ERROR, Sense Code= 0X73, 0X03, now I can't
burn music nor data...

QuickSilver G4 Mac OS X
(10.4.9)

Thanks for responding. I wonder if there is any way to uninstall the security update which I also installed that day! That is when my problems started as well. I will attempt to post that as a question.

May 2, 2007 9:40 AM in response to afterimage

Was the PowerMac purchased with the Pioneer installed, or was the drive bought in 2004 and installed in the PowerMac? I installed a Pioneer drive in 2006 and had to download and install 'Patchburn.de' to get the system to recognize it. If you have a patch, is it possible the security update corrupted it? Let me know if this was any help, Matt Doherty

May 2, 2007 8:59 PM in response to brdnrd

Was the PowerMac purchased with the Pioneer
installed, or was the drive bought in 2004 and
installed in the PowerMac? I installed a Pioneer
drive in 2006 and had to download and install
'Patchburn.de' to get the system to recognize it. If
you have a patch, is it possible the security update
corrupted it? Let me know if this was any help, Matt
Doherty

The Pioneer was already installed when I got the G5 in 2004. I searched for "Patchburn.de" and it was not found to reside here on the G5.

Thanks for the suggestions though Matt.
Roger Legel

power calibration area error (0x73,0x03) when I attempt to burn DVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.