Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Games with the Intel GMA 950

I recently won a contest, and got a new MacBook C2Duo 2.0ghz (black). I have long been a Mac user, and know my way around a bit. I did a lot of searching about how the Intel GMA 950 chip would do for games. The results are mixed, and mostly based on opinion. So, I thought I would simply add my 2-cents:

The Intel GMA 950 in the MacBook does not make for a GREAT game machine, but for the casual gamer, it might be ok. I played Halo ( universal patch ) from start to finish, without poor video performance. I am currently playing Empire At War, and am pleased with the performance.

While both of these games would be much more enjoyable with things like FSAA ( anti-aliasing ) and hardware shaders and lighting, they are playable with low quality settings. I even bumped-up the textures and geometry settings in Empire at War, without noticeable loss of performance ( at a high resolution too! ).

The bottom line is, if you are shopping for a portable gamer, keep shopping. If you are on a budget, already own one, or are just curious, it's not as bad as the so-called "experts" have guessed.

Get the Empire At War demo here, and see for yourself!

2Ghz Macbook Black/1.6Ghz G5 PowerMac Mac OS X (10.4.9) 1gig RAM in Macbook ( considering upgrade )

2Ghz Macbook Black/1.6Ghz G5 PowerMac, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Apr 25, 2007 2:01 PM

19 replies

Apr 26, 2007 9:27 AM in response to DrMacMikeR

I beat Halo on my MacBook to really test out this graphics card, as you probably did.

I played Halo through (on Heroic, then Legendary, if you must know) pretty well but not as well as my iMac which can run at 1440 x 900 at high settings with virutally no lag whatsoever.

So to speak, this graphics card is not completely useless. Although it would've been nice is Apple would've smuggled a independent graphics chip into the MacBook model like they did with the MBP.
-benny

Apr 26, 2007 3:58 PM in response to DrMacMikeR

Contest huh?
Where was it? Do you think there might be another one sometime soon, or is it a one time deal?
As a high school student I don't have the money to buy a MacBook (or any other computer for that matter) so I'm stuck with my family's PC. It is SO frustrating! Just think a contest would be the best way to get a MacBook.

~Matthew

HP something or other, with...ugh...Vista

Apr 27, 2007 7:52 PM in response to k1221n

Its still gonna be integrated graphics - I doubt you gonna see any real improvement - asside from the one on spec sheets.

The longer you wait - the better computer you get - you wait long enough the computer will come built in to your frontal lobe and come standard with personal spacecraft.
You just can't keep up with technology - you wait for something better - then 2 months later - something even better comes along - good luck chasing that train

Apr 30, 2007 7:03 AM in response to k1221n

Intel announced the upgrade to its line, and I'm wondering where/when Apple will incorporate it in its products. They were quick to adopt the Core 2 Duo over the Core Duo. I'm thinking maybe I should wait a few weeks and see if they start showing up right away in the MB line:
http://www.macrumors.com/2007/02/25/next-generation-intel-platform-santa-rosa-tr acking-for-may/

macbook Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Games with the Intel GMA 950

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.