Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail

Mail, since early March, has been systematically eliminating emails that I have saved, whether in the Inbox or in folders created for specific emails. It maintains emails sent prior to December 19, but anything past that date gets offed with regularity, something unnoticed until the destruction had obviously been proceeding for some time. The earliest dated mail of recent origin in the Inbox is from 4/12/07, but I can expect to see them disappearing gradually on a daily basis. All preferences have been checked and are unchanged. Any suggestions?

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Apr 25, 2007 8:06 PM

12 replies

Apr 26, 2007 6:00 AM in response to dematmac

Hi.

I have exactly the same problem. Bought my Macbook in June last year and noticed this problem in November... it seems whenever mail gets to about two months old or so, it simply disappears, no matter what folder it is in. Although all mail prior to September 2007 is still there.

The Apple guys scratched their heads and simply gave up. If you have any idea's - would be appreciated. No settings are there to delete etc. Also downloading from a POP server.

S

Apr 26, 2007 6:04 AM in response to SimonDeiner

Did the Apple guys have you target Mail's Envelope Index file which stores an index of all mailboxes and messages within?

If not, try the following:

Quit Mail first and using the Finder go to Home > Library > Mail. Copy the Mail folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Using the Finder, go to Home > Library > Mail > Envelope Index. Delete the Envelope Index file and empty the Trash.

Launch Mail and you will be prompted to import mailboxes. Select OK and all this process to complete. This isn't really importing anything but replacing the deleted Envelope Index file and reindexing all mailboxes and messages.

Any difference?

Apr 26, 2007 8:42 AM in response to Allan Sampson

Upgrade from Panther to Tiger was done shortly after Tiger's release which was ???

Mail accesses only one account at this time, though I have another POP account, activated only when I travel to Hawaii a couple of times a year and must use dial-up. On my last trip, however, I was using a friend's router and server, during which time the problem surfaced.

Apr 26, 2007 9:32 AM in response to dematmac

There are some left over mbox package files from the previous Mail.app version which are not needed by Tiger Mail but are not deleted after the conversion process is completed and can sometimes cause problems.

Quit Mail first and using the Finder go to Home > Library > Mail > this POP account named folder > INBOX.mbox.

Copy the INBOX.mbox folder and place the copy on the Desktop for backup purposes.

Within the original INBOX.mbox folder within the account named folder, delete all files and folders except for the Messages folder and the Info.plist file and empty the Trash.

Launch Mail and select the account's Inbox mailbox in the mailboxes drawer and use the Rebuild Mailbox function on this mailbox.

Apr 26, 2007 10:03 AM in response to dematmac

You're welcome.

If this recovered the missing messages in the account's Inbox mailbox, you need to do the same for the other account mailboxes within the account named folder - Drafts.mbox, Sent Messages.mbox, Deleted Messages.mbox and Junk.mbox.

This should resolve the problem and if not, Tiger Mail has an Envelope Index file within the Mail folder that stores an index of all mailboxes and messages within which can sometimes become corrupt although I haven't experienced this.

Apr 26, 2007 2:39 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Aha...so, this should have recovered messages? It appears that only one message from 3/19/07 was added to my inbox, and to none of the mailboxes that lost mail. Opening the various folders in Finder/Library/Mail doesn't turn up anything that is missing.

At this point I would simply be satisfied if the elimination process were halted by the steps you guided me through. Thanks.

Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.