Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ssh segmentation fault

After mac last update ssh gives a segmentation fault. It used to work perfectly beore:
ssh -v name@host
OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to host [111.111.11.11] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/javiergcorripio/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/javiergcorripio/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/javiergcorripio/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version Sun SSH1.1
debug1: no match: Sun SSH1.1
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.5
Segmentation fault

This is very annoying. I guess it should have been double checled by mac.

Anyone knows a solution?

Thanks,
J.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Apr 26, 2007 2:16 AM

9 replies

Apr 27, 2007 2:36 AM in response to jgcmac

Been having this problem for a while now (since late Feb). It's apparently a problem with the Kerberos framework. See the following post and scroll down to near the bottom for instructions on how to fix it (requires downloading a 3rd party app caled pacifist).

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=4096888

You can also reinstall Kerberos.framework from the installation CD using the same method. A tip - once you've got it working, keep a copy of the working /System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework folder in a handy place on your HD because it will break again every time you update.

Not a very satisfactory solution I know. The alternative if you have fink (finkproject.org) is to use their version of SSH, but it will only work from the command line, not with GUI apps like fugu.

May 2, 2007 9:01 AM in response to jgcmac

I just got this same error today. I've been using ssh daily since before you had your ssh crap out on you, and I've always been up to date. This morning I did the quicktime and airport updates, so maybe that's my problem. I'll have to wait until I get home to try the pacifist method using the install disc, but in the mean time I'm using the ssh from fink. Apple, you should fix this. ssh shouldn't be broken on a BSD machine. Bad Form.

Albino MacBook 2.0GHz Mac OS X (10.4.7) 2GB RAM, 120GB HD

Jun 4, 2007 8:15 AM in response to jgcmac

I also have this problem (with Kerberos, SSH, and Keychain) every single time there is an update or security fix (Intel Macbook Pro with Developer Tools installed). This last time it seemed to be related (i.e. occurred simultaneously with) a disk/file system volume error that required using fsck -yf, too.

Using a darwinports version of OpenSSH doesn't solve the problem either, indeed pointing the blame squarely at the Kerberos framework, and cascading to everything that relies on it.

Why hasn't Apple fixed this problem? This has been occurring for at least the last 8 months!

Aug 8, 2007 10:03 AM in response to jgcmac

I'd like to add a new clue, and clarify the "fix".

Yesterday, I installed updates on my boss' laptop, while logged in with my account. Knowing that updates seem to break ssh every time, I immediately tested it, and found that it worked.

Today, when my boss tried it, he again got the segmentation fault.

So it seems that the problem may be user-specific!

To clarify the "fix" - extracting the Kerberos framework from the CURRENT update package works fine. I don't think there is any need to go back to an earlier package or version of the framework.

Catemaco

P.S. I actually opened a ticket with Apple the last time I ran into this. Their answer was basically "archive and reinstall". They still don't seem to be acknowledging the problem.

Oct 9, 2007 9:22 PM in response to chris_R

I am so glad that I found this thread! I can't count the number of times that I have reinstalled OS X over the past year or so. I put up a thread a long time ago, and never got a satisfactory answer. I have had exactly the same problem: ssh seg faults, Keychain Access crashes, and I can't afp mount any disks. This happens after one update or another. Sometimes apparently innocuous updates. Sometimes after installing XCode. (I say sometimes, since I have reinstalled so many times.) Right now my system is "working", but I know that it is very fragile. I'll try this Kerberos framework trick the next time things break.

Again, thanks guys!

Oct 26, 2007 11:36 AM in response to jgcmac

'ssh segmentation fault' started for me today, without me having done any software update. I did do a software installation yesterday, the a2ps 'ascii to ps print' package, which can't see how it may have intrefered with the Kerberos framework.

I am posting a quick solution based on what was said in a previous reply to this topic - I had a mirror copy of my startup disk in an external fire-wire disk, I simply erased

/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework

from my startup disk, and copied the corresponding folder in from the backup disk. ssh started working fine again. No restart needed. Took one minute.

Nov 5, 2007 11:50 AM in response to Ulisses

I had the same problem today for the first time (I got this laptop in August).

I do not know if this is related to the end to the daylight savings time o to the last update of the last week.
By the way the last update was a nighmare for me, because it screwed up my user settings and I had to use the Mac X installation disck to fix the thing.
I wish Apple would be more careful next time.

This the error:

ba058011:~ giacomo$ ssh -v mongu.egr.duke.edu
OpenSSH_4.5p1, OpenSSL 0.9.7l 28 Sep 2006
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug1: Connecting to mongu.egr.duke.edu [152.3.236.144] port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: identity file /Users/giacomo/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/giacomo/.ssh/id_rsa type -1
debug1: identity file /Users/giacomo/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 1.99, remote software version OpenSSH_3.9p1
debug1: match: OpenSSH_3.9p1 pat OpenSSH_3.*
debug1: Enabling compatibility mode for protocol 2.0
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.5
Segmentation fault

I've found a workaround doing ssh -1 this works.
Does anyone know a real solution?
I'm a little afraid to remove the folder /System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework

Thanks, Giacomo

ssh segmentation fault

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.