Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Diagonal lines across the entire screen?

This is my 3rd MB. It's pretty much flawless.

But, I did notice that, when I look at the screen more from the top down, at a certain angle, i see VERY faint diagonal lines going from the bottom left to the top right of the screen. This covers the entire screen. It is not noticable if I'm looking straight at the screen, but the lines are only visible at a certain angle (and it's usually too high to view the screen anyway). Bear in mind that I have good eyesite! Again, they're VERY faint and dont obstruct from the view.

I'm assuming it's part of the glossy coating, but has anyone else noticed it? It doesnt bother me, as I dont otherwise see them. the screen is otherwise perfect and bright with no bad pixels.

Thanks!

Posted on Apr 26, 2007 7:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2007 7:49 PM

I've got those too, and seeing as I recently got my screen replaced, I think it's probably just a normal thing; not anything to worry about. If it starts getting worse, you can always call Apple.
10 replies

May 1, 2007 6:01 AM in response to rpeters83

UPDATE:

I stopped by the Genius Bar and, while I didn't have my MB with me, I described the problem to him. I even checked out the other MB's on display. NONE has what mine has and, in fact, they even seemed a little brighter.

Just this morning, a thought popped in my head: Could it be that there's a protective film on my screen that they forgot to remove? It would explain the lines and even the little "lighter spot" i see on a dark screen (another thread), as well as give a little brightness.

I don't want to go tearing off the bezel to look though, but I am taking it up to the Genius Bar again to have them see it...

May 2, 2007 7:09 PM in response to rpeters83

So, I actually took the MB up to the genius bar and they said that it's normal apparently. He said he noticed the lines, but said it was not abnormal.

I dunno...

I have the lines, I have a dime-sized smudge on slightly visible on black colors, and a scratch on the bezel. This is already my 3rd MB after exchanges, I'm sick of returning this thing...I guess I'll have to live with it.

May 5, 2007 1:53 AM in response to rpeters83

My Macbook is currently having the screen replaced for this exact problem- very fine diagonal lines accross the entire screen. Its actually due to the way LCD screens are produced. If you look closely you will see that the lines actually make up a very fine digonal grid (approx 1mm x 1mm) best described as chicken wire. This chickenwire effect is recognised as being very visible on LCD projectors but on LCD screens/monitors it should only be seen at acute angles i.e. angles you don't normally view the screen. All LCDs not just apple LCDs do have the grid but if you are seeing the grid/lines at normal viewing angles I know it is very irritating particularly on light colour backgrounds. Take it in and get the screen replaced as I've done. Hope this is helpful.

May 5, 2007 6:10 AM in response to Buzzinhornet

This was very helpful indeed.

I only see the lines at angles, so this falls into your description of a normal LCD. I do not see them when looking straight at the screen, only when looking from the top down or from the sides are they slightly visible on white backgrounds.

So I guess I can conclude that my screen is considered normal?

I guess I was worried because I simply compared this screen to other laptops and LCD's I have and didn't notice it.

Diagonal lines across the entire screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.