Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G4 not recognizing AirPort card after attempted MacFixIt fix for OS problem

My G4 OS 10.4.9 hasn't been regularly recognizing AirPort signal for cable modem. So I followed MacFixIt instructions to move extension AppleAirPort.kext and AppleAirPort2.kext to desktop. First it wouldn't let me move them, then would with authentication/password.

Now G4 won't recognize the signal at all. No internet, no signal. I've attempted to reinstall the 2 files and they've gone back into the extensions folder with authentication. Several restarts later, still no signal.

Tried the AirPort set up program, it tells me it doesn't recognize the AirPort card any longer. Any ideas how to go back to the way it was? Even though it wasn't recognizing the signal everytime, that was better than the nothing I've now. Thanks.

G4, iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.9), cable modem and Express

Posted on Apr 29, 2007 10:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2007 12:57 AM

Can't estimate what the odds are, but download the 10.4.9 Combo Update. Install over top of your current Tiger 10.4.9 system. It won't duplicate, only MIGHT fill in what's missing, including AirPort items.

Use the utility "Disk Utility" (First Aid pane) to "Repair Disk Permissions" before and afterwards. Also verify disk and repair if necessary. Open "Help" menu while in Disk Utility to learn more from Disk Utility Help, or check out this article:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/durepairfns.html

In addition, some have had success restoring normal AirPort operation by (in Tiger) replacing their preferred network. Best to delete ➖ your network at AirPort/AirPort pane of Network panel of System Preferences (in the "By default, join:" selector when it's set to "Preferred networks"), then click "Apply Now" button.

Restart Mac. Check in the menu bar icon that AirPort is turned on and that your network name is showing, but is not connected. If so, add in your network using the + box under the list, then click the "Apply Now" button. Switch to Show: Network Port Configurations, put AirPort at the top of the list, all boxes can be left checked. Click "Apply Now" button. Should connect.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2007 12:57 AM in response to Katherine Milo

Can't estimate what the odds are, but download the 10.4.9 Combo Update. Install over top of your current Tiger 10.4.9 system. It won't duplicate, only MIGHT fill in what's missing, including AirPort items.

Use the utility "Disk Utility" (First Aid pane) to "Repair Disk Permissions" before and afterwards. Also verify disk and repair if necessary. Open "Help" menu while in Disk Utility to learn more from Disk Utility Help, or check out this article:
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/durepairfns.html

In addition, some have had success restoring normal AirPort operation by (in Tiger) replacing their preferred network. Best to delete ➖ your network at AirPort/AirPort pane of Network panel of System Preferences (in the "By default, join:" selector when it's set to "Preferred networks"), then click "Apply Now" button.

Restart Mac. Check in the menu bar icon that AirPort is turned on and that your network name is showing, but is not connected. If so, add in your network using the + box under the list, then click the "Apply Now" button. Switch to Show: Network Port Configurations, put AirPort at the top of the list, all boxes can be left checked. Click "Apply Now" button. Should connect.

G4 not recognizing AirPort card after attempted MacFixIt fix for OS problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.