Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scaling for Export to the web

My exportable images are all pre-scaled with a maximum dimension of 800 pixels. If the first image in the queue is, say 800x400, and I enter 800, the other dimension is set to 400. As a result, the smallest dimension will be scaled to 400 and I can end up with an image of, say, 640x400 instead of the desired 800x500. This makes these images seem undersized on my web page. The same problem occurs with thumbnails.

So, how do I fix this so the images all have a maximum side of 800 pixels?

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 2, 2007 2:33 PM

5 replies

May 2, 2007 4:29 PM in response to IHaveOne

I did not see that option on the export panel. Where
is it?

Hmmm... Maybe iPhoto 5 doesn't have it. I have only iPhoto 6 here, so I can't double check. In iPhoto 6, there is an choice under "Size" for "Full-size images" vs. "Scale images no larger than ...". If iPhoto 5 only has the later, you could enter a much larger value, like 2000x1000. iPhoto 6 at least will not expand your pictures if they are smaller.

May 2, 2007 7:09 PM in response to IHaveOne

That was fantastic for the images but terrible for the thumbnails. They all came out huge. Actually, they came out the same size as the images. Apparently, the limitation to actual image size works for both the images and the thumbnails.

So, what can I do to control the thumbnail size? I am trying to get the largest dimension to 150 pixels. However, when I do that the minimum dimenstion gets set to 76 pixels and that relationship gets applied to all the thumbnails.

May 3, 2007 7:06 AM in response to IHaveOne

The image problem is solved.

After playing with it quite a bit it does not appear the tumbnail problem is solvable. The thumbnail is created from the image and can be as large as the image. Attempts to make it smaller cause the same problem of the smaller side occasionally over-riding the larger side. This could just be something we have to live with.

It would be helpful if the web export function provided an option to scale the larger side, whichever it is, to the specified number of pixels.

Scaling for Export to the web

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.