Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TomTom and Mac

I've bought a TomTom 910. I did downloaded TomTom Home to be able to download updates etc. My Mac doesn't recognize the TomTom so TomTom Home doesn't work.It has do with the USB 2.0 I need a USB 1.1 Is it possible to connect a hub? Any others suggesstions?

Macbookpro, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 4, 2007 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2007 7:33 AM

I, too, have encountered the same problem. I was able to use TomTom Home in conjunction with the TomTom 910 without any issues up until just recently. Am still trying to figure out what happened to change this. As far as I can tell, there were three different software updates that occurred around the same time and perhaps one or more of these updates contains a bug that prevents us from using the product at this time. TomTom issued two of the three updates - one to their "TomTom Home" software application, and one to 910 GPS device itself. Apple released one update - that being the OS update to 10.4.9. At first, I had thought that my sync cradle for the TomTom had gone bad, but was able to sync without a problem using my Windows PC. It seems to me that either Apple or TomTom forgot to include the driver(s) with one of their updates here. Don't know for sure - but am leaning towards it at this point.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2007 7:33 AM in response to Haarlem

I, too, have encountered the same problem. I was able to use TomTom Home in conjunction with the TomTom 910 without any issues up until just recently. Am still trying to figure out what happened to change this. As far as I can tell, there were three different software updates that occurred around the same time and perhaps one or more of these updates contains a bug that prevents us from using the product at this time. TomTom issued two of the three updates - one to their "TomTom Home" software application, and one to 910 GPS device itself. Apple released one update - that being the OS update to 10.4.9. At first, I had thought that my sync cradle for the TomTom had gone bad, but was able to sync without a problem using my Windows PC. It seems to me that either Apple or TomTom forgot to include the driver(s) with one of their updates here. Don't know for sure - but am leaning towards it at this point.

May 29, 2007 2:53 AM in response to Haarlem

I've bought a TomTom 910. I did downloaded TomTom
Home to be able to download updates etc. My Mac
doesn't recognize the TomTom so TomTom Home doesn't
work.It has do with the USB 2.0 I need a USB 1.1 Is
it possible to connect a hub? Any others suggesstions?

Well I bought a TomTom 910 which has re-set itself and now won't work properly. I've only had it a month! I managed to get it working once with TomTom Home but that just seemed to make it worse. Now it goes through the motions of starting up, but when it gets to to voice selection screen, if I don't select the first one it starts again. I can get it to work but not on the Home Dock. The whole start-up procedure is different to how it was when I first bought it Maybe I could solve it by installing updates, but now TomTom Home doesn't recognise that any device is connected, even though in System Profiler it shows up on the USB high speed bus. Aaaaargh...

May 31, 2007 6:40 PM in response to peniledementia

I just bought a TomTom 910 this week - and while my macbook (10.4.9) recognizes the device, and TomTom Home loads - it crashes during backup or any update - the gps unit has to be reset (the mac does not fail). I have yet to notice in the few days since it happened if there's anything wrong now with the unit itself (as some of you report).

I just saw some comments on Version Tracker (for the latest TT Home download for mac) that indicates these problems will occur for any OS X beyond 10.3.9 no matter what TT says...their advice to him was to use a PC or older mac.

Has anyone found a way to make this work effectively? I won't buy a PC and refuse to downgrade my OS. If not, it may be necessary to return the GPS - it's not worth it.

Jun 6, 2007 8:18 AM in response to macjudge

Apparently the tomtoms have been having recognition and stability issues with the 10.4.9 software and the units, where possible, should be connected to the wired keyboard USB ports of the desktops. The devices need to be connnected to using USB 1.1 (thus the keyboard ports).

If tomtom home starts up but then freezes with no error message then you should delete the home preferences from the HD.

Close down tomtom home and open up the Macintosh HD, selecting Users. Within that folder there is a folder named with the user account name (email address). Open that, then library, then preferences. Within preferences, find the home preferences file and delete it.

Tomtom home should run properly now.

Hope this helps some of you.

Jun 26, 2007 1:22 AM in response to MACademic

I am a Mac 10.4.9 user and when I click on MY GO 910 in TomTom Home I receive the following message in red print: "At this time there is no component avalable that is compatatible with your TomTom device"

What OS update rectified the problems you were having and can you programme your TomTom for mapping purposes from MY GO 910 on TomTom Home.

Thanks for your help.

David.

TomTom and Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.