Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPod on both Mac and Windows

I want to be able to add songs to my iPod from both my Windows computer and my Mac. However, I appaerntly have to reformat it every time I switch computers. Is there any way around this?

Posted on May 5, 2007 8:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2007 8:57 AM

Actually, if your iPod is Windows-formatted, you ought to be able to operate them between the two OS's. (Mac can read a Windows-formatted iPod, but not really vice/versa).

If your iPod is Windows-formatted, you can transfer music to your iPod between those two computers.

You cannot, however, update your iPod's firmware on a Mac if the iPod is Windows-formatted.

As a general, it's a good idea to manually manage your iPod when using it between multiple computers.

This article might provide some good info on this:

Using iPod with multiple computers

-Kylene
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2007 8:57 AM in response to The Pondermatic

Actually, if your iPod is Windows-formatted, you ought to be able to operate them between the two OS's. (Mac can read a Windows-formatted iPod, but not really vice/versa).

If your iPod is Windows-formatted, you can transfer music to your iPod between those two computers.

You cannot, however, update your iPod's firmware on a Mac if the iPod is Windows-formatted.

As a general, it's a good idea to manually manage your iPod when using it between multiple computers.

This article might provide some good info on this:

Using iPod with multiple computers

-Kylene

May 5, 2007 8:55 AM in response to The Pondermatic

if u keep the ipod in manual mode to add the songs by clicking and dragging u can add from more than one computer
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305136

to be able to use the ipod on a mac and a PC u will want to keep the ipod formatted for the PC since the Mac will be able to read this format and should function fine.

"Question: Can I use an iPod formatted for Mac on a PC, or an iPod formatted for Windows on a Mac?

Answer: It is not possible to use an iPod formatted for Mac with Windows. This is because Windows does not support the HFS Plus file system and therefore will not see the drive. When you connect an iPod formatted for Mac to your PC, iTunes will prompt you to restore the iPod.

iTunes will allow you to use an iPod formatted for Windows on a Mac; "

May 5, 2007 10:51 AM in response to The Pondermatic

There are a couple of different ways you can transfer your iPod's contents to your computer.

Check out first method laid out in this post. (That post also contains a link to MacMuse's post, which describes another way in doing this).

A more straightforward method in copying your iPod's songs to your computer, however, would be to download a third-party program that can do this for you.

For example, if you are on a Windows computer, you can use YamiPod (I find it a fairly easy program to figure out and use with both of my iPods).

As a note, you will have to have iTunes closed when you run this program, though.

-Kylene

Using iPod on both Mac and Windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.