Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot use KVM switch with Mac Mini

I bought a KVM monitor switch box, some KVM cables, and a USB to PS/2 ports so that I could connect the Mac Mini I bought and my old PC to the same monitor. Unfortunately I have been running into problems.

I can verify that the monitor is working - I turned off the PC and directly connected my monitor to the Mac Mini. I connected my keyboard and mouse to the USB to PS/2 port converter thing, so it works too.

I am beginning to think that there is something wrong with the KVM switch, or that my monitor does not support the use of switch boxes. I am using a Mitsubishi/NEC DiamondPoint SB70, and the model number of the KVM switch is MT-270S.

I have also tried following the instructions with the little booklet that came with the switch box - to power up one PC, let it fully boot up, switch to the second PC and boot it up.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Intel-based Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.9), I also have a PC running Win XP

Posted on May 5, 2007 7:01 PM

5 replies

May 8, 2007 4:58 AM in response to ElaineArias

My experience has been that I needed to try several brands and models of consumer-grade KVM switches before I found one that I was happy with.

Hopefully you bought from a vendor with a good return policy and you can try another model.

There are some fine points that need to be observed with USB + PS/2 switches: sometimes you have to have more cables attached to a turned-on computer than you might suppose, because the switch needs to draw power from a live computer -- and it does so through the usb and/or ps/2 cables. Sometimes it is hard to know which is the most critical cable to have connected to power the switch.

Additionally, if ps/2 to usb conversion is being done by an additional device other than the switch, this will often prevent a switch from working properly.

May 9, 2007 5:27 PM in response to Boece

Thanks for the response. It probably is the USB to PS/2 connector that I bought to convert one USB port to a pair of PS/2 ports for the keyboard and mouse. Once I used that, I could not use the switch box at all.

I am going to give it another shot this weekend, trying it without the USB to PS/2 switch and following the instructions more carefully.

May 10, 2007 3:39 AM in response to ElaineArias

If you go to a site like amazon.com or newegg.com you can find a wide variety of KVM switches -- and hopefully one that will match the connections of all the devices you have without having to resort to a separate Y-converter.

As others have suggested, you will have the simplest and most reliable setup if you can run a pure USB configuration, though that is not strictly necessary.

I'm far from pure USB (I use a vintage 1986 IBM AT keyboard going into a PS/2 converter into a KVM switch that outputs USB and PS/2! -- though I do use a USB mouse). I don't use any Y-converters because they would not work with my Trendnet TK-210K switch.

Cannot use KVM switch with Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.