Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Added new Raid 0 volume, how do I move applications onto it?

Hi Guys,

I would like to move some applications like Logic Pro and AU plugins off of my boot disk and onto the Raid 0 volume.

I was going to just re-install everything but it will not let me install to this volume!

Whet is the best way of going about this?

Thanks for any help

Andy

Posted on May 6, 2007 9:14 AM

6 replies

May 6, 2007 12:02 PM in response to AndrewCapon

I did an experiment once, using 4 10K drives or volumes

Boot drive; 3rd party applications; scratch; "home user" account.

No benefit from a dedicated 3rd party applications.
Some benefit from separate drive for scratch (RAID)
Also for moving data and media files to another volume.

Using the boot drive for scratch and data can severely affect performance with some applications.

I also tried having just one large stripped raid for everything. Easy to setup and use, just backup (like twice a day to two different sets, which with 500-1000GB drives just got easier).

May 6, 2007 12:23 PM in response to AndrewCapon

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

I have all my data on the raid volume but still I am getting slow startup times with Logic Pro, also I have a template that loads a fair amount of AU components this can take up to three minutes to load with the disk going mad.

I was hoping to be able to move Logic and my AU components onto the raid volume to speed this up.

Is it not possible to install apps onto anything but the boot disk?

Can I move parts of the library (the audio tree) onto a volume that isn't the boot volume?

Thanks for any advise

Andy

May 6, 2007 1:07 PM in response to AndrewCapon

Things you can try:

Keep your boot drive to 40% use or less.
Use the fastest drive (10K Raptor or something)
Use two such drives in RAID.

Always check your drive with Disk Warrior if it isn't running up to snuff. I would also clean the system and library cache files.
Do a backup with SuperDuper, followed by erase of boot drive, then restore.

You could have a highly fragmented drive with files scattered all over that impedes launching. SuperDuper does a good job of organizing system files.

It is best to leave apps on the boot drive, their default location, and essential for Apple apps.

Added new Raid 0 volume, how do I move applications onto it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.