Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Corrupted display when changing res. PLEASE HELP

Guys,

When trying to play some games i noticed that the screen would just go black and i would get nothing. i have put this down to the game trying to select a resolution that isn't supported.

Looking into this i noticed that all my display resolution options seem to be corrupted. Only one of the works which is 1680x1050.
If i try to select 1024x768 the screen goes black and stays that way. Other resoloutions in the list will give me a corrupt screen with a split desktop.

Is there anyway i can restore the display preferences to put this right?

Please help

jon

Macbook Pro 2.0, Mac OS X (10.4.6), 2gb Ram

Posted on May 7, 2007 1:46 AM

7 replies

May 8, 2007 9:38 PM in response to Jonny Skyman

You can use the Finder's Find command and search on the term "windowserver". You should find files like com.apple.windowserver.plist and com.apple.windowserver.xxxxxxxxx.plist where xxxxxxxxx is a series of letters and numbers. Trash any such files you find and restart. Mac OS will automatically regenerate the files with default values.

Before you do the above, try starting up in Safe Mode. If the screen works correctly running in Safe Mode, then that would suggest a problem with your home account's configuration.

If neither of the above affect the problem, try resetting the the PMU, too.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

May 10, 2007 9:27 AM in response to BSteely

Thanks for the advice but i still have the same problem.

In safe mode it even starts up with the screen split in quarters! If i change the res back to 1680x1050 it is ok but any other res either splits the screen or just goes black!
I ran pref treatment and it found a couple of errors which i trashed but it did not help.

Is there any way to reinstall the display driver?

Corrupted display when changing res. PLEASE HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.