Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro battery charge indicator completely wrong

I'm having some severe problems with the battery of my MacBook Pro since two or three weeks: the indicated charge and remaining battery life are completely wrong. Usually, the computer shuts down without any warning with a drained battery and an indicated charge between 30 and 50(!)%. About every second time, the MBP doesn't even just go into sleep mode, but completely shuts off. This has resulted more than once in a complete loss of my work.

I already have tried to recalibrate the battery more than once, resetted the PMU and installed the Battery Update - without the slightest success. The battery does not show any of the symptoms described in the read-me for the Battery Update, so it's not eligible for replacement. Is my battery defective?

Powerbook G4 12", 1.33 GHz/MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 7, 2007 1:35 PM

3 replies

May 10, 2007 4:14 AM in response to DrDeath

Identifying an affected battery

Affected batteries will have one or more of the following symptoms:

Battery is not recognized causing an “X” to appear in the battery icon in the Finder menu bar.

Battery will not charge when computer is plugged into AC power.

Battery exhibits low charge capacity/runtime when using a fully charged battery with a battery cycle count (as shown in System Profiler) of less than 300.

Battery pack is visibly deformed.

Your battery is exhibiting the third failure. i.e. low runtime.

Call AppleCare.

MacBook Pro battery charge indicator completely wrong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.