Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious OS corruption after 1.1 update

I am having similar problems as DRMG describes after this update, all related to OS and Apple software. Can't shut down or restart, no dock to be found, no Dashboard, many other issues.

Tried to create a new user to begin to isolate the problem but after admin access I cannot add a user--all fields and boxes greyed out.

Sys Info not working, either, but as I do all automatic updates I should have the latest of everything. Really, really could use some tips.

Thank you.

iMac G5 20 2GB, 512 RAM Mac OS X (10.4.9)

iMac G5 20 2GB, 512 RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 7, 2007 9:30 PM

5 replies

May 8, 2007 3:44 AM in response to Susan Hull

Hi Susan,

First run Repair Disk:

Steps for using Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
3. Click the First Aid tab.
4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
6. Click Repair.
If you repair errors run it until no errors found.

Then run repair permissions.

Now boot up normally. If your system is repaired fine, if not You may be able to repair this with 10.4.9 PPC Combo Update.

This is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It has worked well for many.

Remember to Verify Disk before update and repair permissions after update from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

User uploaded file
-mj
macjack@gmail.com

May 8, 2007 7:19 PM in response to macjack

Thanks so much, MacJack. I've spent an hour or so trying to follow your suggestions. OS install disk doesn't appear on desktop or in windows, so I can't use it or even eject it. Meantime my corrupted original system will neither restart nor shut down. Even turning off the power button--the dreaded power-down--is no go. The same screen appears, as if the sys had been sleeping rather than shut down.

Do you by any chance know how to force restart, maybe from Terminal or other admin utility? I've searched forums w not much luck. If I can somehow force a reboot from CD, I should be able to run repairs, but no CD icon and no shutdown leaves me stuck.
Many thanks.
SH

May 9, 2007 9:25 PM in response to macjack

Boy, thanks for hanging in there with me.

I was able after many tries (and longer waits) to restart from CD. Repair Disk stopped fairly early with message 'Underlying task reported failure on exit. HFS volume (my internal HD, not partitioned) could not be repaired." Interesting, it said Error #, but no number followed; never saw that before. I ran Repair Disk two or 3 times w same result. Repaired disk permissions for the heck of it, of which there were hundreds.

I considered a system restore, but instead restarted just to see what happened. It was very, very slow to boot and launch my usual 3 or 4 apps, but some of the sys functions seem to be back now--Dock is there, Expose & Dashboard working, Safari and other Mac apps launch. I haven't explored widely and will do that tonight as far as tired eyes will take me. I'll post when I have a sense of where things stand.

I can't tell you how much it means to me to have some support in this. I'm a Mac user for 22 years now, reasonably confident when navigating troubled waters, but when things go wanky deep in the system like this, guidance is everything. Thank you.

Here's a theory I've pondered for years: I always subscribe to auto-updates, and I do usually stop for a nanosecond to see what they are before giving the Go, but rarely really think about it. Not all require restart, as you know, and when one does I often just continue working for a while, sometimes quite a while, before reaching a convenient break point. I've wondered whether there may be potential for creating problems by failing to do the deed when told to. Never a problem before, but this one's a doozy. What do you think?

Super dooper thanks,
Susan

May 10, 2007 6:04 AM in response to Susan Hull

Hi Susan, it sounds like you were able to accomplish some repairs with Repair Permissions. But if Repair Disk reports the volume cannot be repaired, then there is some serious directory damage. It may appear to be working better but it will rear its ugly head again, at exactly the wrong time 😉
You need to back up everything now. Do you have a recent backup/clone? Do you have an external firewire hard drive?

After backing up you might be able to use Disk Warrior or TechToolPro to rebuild your directory.

The other option is an archive & install. Or erase & install.

Post back with any further questions.

EDIT:
I always subscribe to auto-updates, and I do usually stop for a nanosecond to see what they are before giving the Go, but rarely really think about it. Not all require restart, as you know, and when one does I often just continue working for a while, sometimes quite a while, before reaching a convenient break point.
Yes, you should not be doing other tasks on your Mac while downloading and installing software. You should restart immediately to allow the updates to complete. Also, you should run "Verify Disk" from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility and Repair Permissions before and after installs.

User uploaded file
-mj
macjack@gmail.com

Serious OS corruption after 1.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.