Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIGHTY MOUSE BUG! can you reproduce secondary button failure?

The bug is extremely simple: If a user decides to move his home folder to a different partition from the system partition & correcting the path in netinfo manager to point to the external partition, the secondary button function on any mighty mouse (wireless or wired) will not function, regardless of where this "function" assigned

BTW in case you ask, my system is set up that way for backup purposes.

steps to reproduce:

You need MacOs X 10.4.8 or later installed on a system with at least 2 partitions, the system being installed on one of them.

1 create user "test"
2 login to "test" user
3 check system prefs for mouse & activate secondary button if it is not activated. Test that it works!
4 copy "test" home folder to external partition (+ authenticate if appropriate)
5 open netinfo manager
6 find user "test" & correct path to home folder from "/Users/test" to "Volumes/whateveryourothervolumeiscalled/test" (or something to that effect, depending on your configuration: my config has an external volume called Users. I therefore point the new home folder to Volumes/Users/test)
7 save config & quit
8 logout & login twice (yes I don't know why but it doesn't seem to register the path to the new home folder after the first logout; go figure?)
9 test your secondary button function & it does NOT work. All other buttons/functions work normally

10 RETURN TO initial setup by correcting path in netinfo manager back to "Users/test" (save, quit, logout & login twice making sure the home folder selected is on the system partition): check mighty mouse secondary button & it works again!

This has been reproduced with 3 separate test users on 2 different systems.

Just to be on the safe side, could anyone else plse reproduce the bug & send feedback? I guess any system with 2 partitions on internal drive or a separate HD drive will do.

Thanks for anyone's feedback & suggestions

imacG5, ImacG4, Ibook G4, Powermac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.7), ethernet 10/100bt network on USR8000 router + linksys hub + airportextreme

Posted on May 10, 2007 2:23 PM

1 reply

MIGHTY MOUSE BUG! can you reproduce secondary button failure?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.