Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator solution for shutdown delay if AFP volume is mounted (305395)

Hi. I just wanted to add my Automator solution to the below tech note:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=305395

Environment:
Two Mac's at work. I was connected to the 2nd Mac via AFP. This was primary connected to enable backup software to synchronize both macs.

Problem:
I used to forget to unmount the 2nd Mac's HD before it was shut down at 5PM. I usually had to wait for 3-5 mins (felt longer as it was after 5pm!) until I could leave, sometimes having to force shutdown.

My solution:
1. Open Automator
2. Drag the Mounted AFP server icon from the desktop into the new Automator window.
3. From Automator, click on the Finder in the Library/Applications list.
4. Drag the 'Eject Disk' Action under the 1st workflow item you made in step 2.
5. Goto 'File' 'Save As Plug-in...'
6. Name the Action
7. Select the 'Plug-in for' item as 'iCal Alarm'
8. iCal will open and import your action as a calendar item. I set mine to run at 4.45pm. Use 'Repeat', 'Custom' to set it to run Weekly Mon - Fri.

Obviously this only worked for us due to our hours of work, but hope it helps others.

Regards
Richard

PowerMac G5 Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 11, 2007 1:56 AM

There are no replies.

Automator solution for shutdown delay if AFP volume is mounted (305395)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.