Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nvidia quadro fx 4500 driver

Hi there,
Here at work we've bought a mac pro and it came with the geforce 7300 gt.
We then bought a nvidia quadro fx 4500, installed it (with the power cable), but it won't turn on.
So i installed both cards, and plugged the monitors on the geforce 7300. When it started, i went to system info and found out that the mac os x recognizes the card as a g70 Board - q348-0 and not as a NVidia Quadro FX 4500.

Could anybody help me?

Mac Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on May 16, 2007 2:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2007 3:16 PM

You appear to have purchased the PC version of the FX4500.

The PC version of this card will not work in your Mac Pro. It needs to have specific Apple firmware on the card- which the PC version does not have.

To my knowledge, the only way to make it work is to flash the card with the Mac ROM, which may or may not be possible, and is a complex procedure which could damage the FX4500.

Since Apple (afaik) doesn't offer the FX4500 as an aftermarket upgrade, I think the only place you can order the proper FX4500 is from:

http://welovemacs.com/6613928.html

Other then that, the card just won't work.

-SC
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2007 3:16 PM in response to RodrigoAraujo

You appear to have purchased the PC version of the FX4500.

The PC version of this card will not work in your Mac Pro. It needs to have specific Apple firmware on the card- which the PC version does not have.

To my knowledge, the only way to make it work is to flash the card with the Mac ROM, which may or may not be possible, and is a complex procedure which could damage the FX4500.

Since Apple (afaik) doesn't offer the FX4500 as an aftermarket upgrade, I think the only place you can order the proper FX4500 is from:

http://welovemacs.com/6613928.html

Other then that, the card just won't work.

-SC

May 16, 2007 3:18 PM in response to RodrigoAraujo

Was the Quadro FX 4500 an original Apple part for the Mac Pro? All graphics cards for the Mac Pro need firmware which supports EFI (and not BIOS which 3rd party graphics cards are designed for).

If you are feeling particularly brave, it may be possible to flash your standard FX 4500 with the EFI firmware from a Apple Mac Pro compatible version of the card. This requires extensive technical knowledge however, as well as access to the correct firmware file - if you make a mistake, you could easily turn your FX 4500 into a glorified paperweight!

EDIT: Sorry ScottishCaptain - we posted at exactly the same time!

May 18, 2007 11:14 AM in response to TomCondon

Yes it does.

There are technically three versions of the FX4500:

PC, Mac PowerPC, and Mac Intel.

All have different firmware written on the card, and are not interchangeable. You may be able to update the firmware on that PowerPC FX4500 to somehow make it work on a Mac Pro, but that might kill the card, and I have no clue how it would be done.

-SC

Aug 23, 2007 8:33 PM in response to necronym

Do you still have that card necronym?

I'm about to get a upgrade from my GF7300, so either I get a FX4500 or a FX4600, but the FX4600 will not let me start OS X with the card inside I guess.

I was about to get a FX4500 from a Sun-workstation, but then I have to flash the bios on the card with a Mac Pro FX4500-bios, and I cant find any copies of this on the net.

nvidia quadro fx 4500 driver

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.