Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac does not recognize a MiniDV camera connected through Firewire

I have a Canon Optura 20 MiniDV video camera which my Intel iMac 24" does not recognize. I am connecting the camera to the computer via the FW400 port.

The program I am using to edit video is iMovieHD and whenever it tries to connect to the camcorder it says a camera is not found.

Another issue I have is that whenever I attach the camera to the FW400 port my WD My Book 500Gb external HHD, which is attached through the FW800 port, disconnects.

To make sure the FW400 port is working, I attached a iPod to it and it works fine.

The camera or cable are not the problem since they work well in my Macbook.

Help is appreciated.

MacBook Black 1GB, Mac Mini PPC 1GB, iMac 24inch 2GB Mac OS X (10.4.9)

MacBook Black 1GB, Mac Mini PPC 1GB, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on May 18, 2007 10:46 AM

14 replies

May 21, 2007 10:03 AM in response to --------------

USB is a different issue. Unlike Firewire and DV, USB has no standard protocol for video transfer.

As far as I know, the Everio G is an MPEG2 hard disk recorder. This should appear as a USB storage device, not a camera, to OS/X. You uought to be able to mount it and copy the MPEG2 files of. You can't directly edit the MPEG2 streams, obviously, but you can convert them to an editable format. It also has the issue of being low-resolution, so it'll be a little quirky working with (640x480 in 4:3 versus 720x480 in 4:3 for DV and DVD).

May 21, 2007 10:13 AM in response to riconebel

There's a lot of peculiarities with Apple's Firewire drivers in Mac OS X, I've found out. I had posted an issue in the Final Cut forum regarding it and they all jumped on me for it being an issue with Canon cameras.

I had done some tests and debugging and found it's not the camera, but actually the Firewire drivers themselves that seem flaky. For example, you can run Linux on the same machine and transfer the video without issue. Further, the Fina Cut forum posters said Canon had problems with their protocol impltementation, but if you check on the data being sent, it's perfect with regard to spec (at least over the wire).

Anyway, like all good bugs, there's a work-around. First, never capture to an external disk. Capture to the local disk, and then move the files to the external disk. OS X seems to balk at handling raw1394 or dv1394 streams at the same time as handling FW storage. Second, never daisy-chain the camera off another FW device. Again, you run Linux on the hardware and all is well, OS X, and it completely failes to register the camera (more specifically, you can't plug the camera into a hub, be it a daisy chain or an actual 1394 hub).

I'll be willing to bet that you are running into one of those two issues.

Plug the camera directly into the back of the Mac, and capture to the internal HD.

May 24, 2007 7:25 PM in response to riconebel

I have the same problem with a Panasonic PV-GS200 camcorder.

I tried connecting the camcorder to the Firewire 400 port of my 24" iMac. iMovie only shows the built in iSight. The System Profiler doesn't show anything as being connected.

If I plug in an iSight, then the System Profiler shows the iSight. iChat comes up, so the Firewire 400 port is ok.

Neither the camcorder nor a Plextor external CDROM drive are recognized by the iMac. They work fine, however, with my G4 Mac Mini.

I also tried resetting NVRAM, and removing all cables, including power, and waiting 5 min. to no avail.

Sigh...

Jun 5, 2007 3:46 AM in response to J D McIninch

It also has the issue of being low-resolution, so it'll be a little quirky working with (640x480 in 4:3 versus 720x480 in 4:3 for DV and DVD).

This is mis-information. The resolution of the MPEG files in all recording modes for the Everio is 720 x 576 pixels (except Economy mode - 352 x 288 pixels).
So this is MORE pixels than "720x480 in 4:3 for DV and DVD".

Sep 4, 2007 9:54 PM in response to Adam Davis4

I found a suggestion through another thread that appears to be getting me closer to a solution. I have an external LaCie FireWire DVD burner. I was able to connect the burner to my iMac and my camcorder to the DVD burner. The camcorder at least appears in the System Profiler now. iMovie can control the camcorder, but it can't view or capture the video.

Sep 5, 2007 11:31 PM in response to J D McIninch

Well, if it contains FireWire updates, they haven't fixed the problem for me.

I've found that I can successfully connect to and capture video from my camcorder (Sharp VL-PDU3) when I'm using a 15" iMac G4 (OS X 10.2.8) and a 12" PowerBook G4 (OS X 10.4.10).

But I have no luck when I connect the camcorder to my new 20" 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac. The only way I can get the computer to recognize that a device is connected to it via FireWire is if I daisy chain the camcorder with a LaCie DVD Burner. Even then, I can control the camcorder from iMovie, but I can't capture video.

Oct 16, 2007 10:31 PM in response to Adam Davis4

Hi,

I also have the same problem. Just bought my new iMac couple of weeks ago. Been testing my new Panasonic NV-MD10000 with it. If i plug it it using short FW cable on the FW400 port, it works, but if i use long wire (20meters), the iMac does not detect the camera. I also used another camera (Sony) the same thing happened.

Worse happens if i plug the two cameras in the FW800 port, short or long cable, the camera is not detected.

Question: Is there a limit for cables that can be used from the iMac to another device?

I tested the same setup with my windows machine (long and short FW cable) it's working fine.

Regards,

Edward TH

iMac does not recognize a MiniDV camera connected through Firewire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.